Sign in to follow this  
Jimbob1970

Dumb question from Corrado newbie

I have just bought a 1.8 16v.

It has a Quantum alarm fitted. Seems to work fine. Has a bleeper on the key ring. It locks the doors, closes the windows etc.

The bonnet is alarmed as well.

I am pleased that it all still works.

Anybody ever heard of Quantum?

Will there be an imobiliser as well? How can I test whether there is, without setting the alarm off - and anoying the neighbours again!

I have been looking for insurance quotes and Quantum does not appear in any of the approved immobiliser lists on any of the insurance web sites.

Anybody know anything about it?

The car is "the dog's" by the way - mint, black, shiny and raring to go!

Jimbob

Thanks Dazzyvr6.

I have found the place to turn it off with the little key, under the bonnet.

I can then open the door with the main key and start-up the car without a problem.

Does this mean that there is no immobiliser or, am I turning off the immobiliser with the 'little' key as well as the alarm?

I have no manual for the security stuff with the car, so I am a bit clueless!

Cheers,

Jimbob :?

Most immobilsers cut in after 30 secs if you disarm the alarm wait a minute and then turn the key in the ignition if the car starts then I would say no it hasn't got an imobiliser. Most insurance companies now want at least a catergory 2 imobilser fitted to a car didn't your insurance company require this when you got it insured you will also get a percentage off your premium if you have a thatcham approved imobilser/alarm fitted usually

Thanks Banana Man.

I can start the car up no problem with the alarm switched off permanently.

So, looks like I have no immobiliser then.... ****!

The car is not insured yet - it is off the road at the moment in a garage.

Looks like I may have fun trying to find insurance cover without an immobiliser fitted.

Cheers,

Jimbob

can you start the car with the alarm going off??you still should get insurance but you will have to send them a vsib certificate to prove youve had a cat2 imobiliser fitted,and they only cost around £80 fitted

I have a Quantum alarm on mine also.

Apparently these were supplied to VW Dealerships by Scorpion and rebadged as Quantum.

More info can be found about them at http://www.scorpionalarms.com

There's a link at the bottom of the page to download fitting and user instructions for all their models.

I had to ring them and describe the keyfob of my alarm to correctly identify which model it was.

Hope this helps

Dazzyvr6 - I haven't tried starting the car with the alarm going... it's too damn noisy!

Mike 16v - cheers for that info. I will get on that website and have a shufty.

Thanks for the help guys.

keyfob says it's a Quantum MPT1340....

MPT1340 is a radio transmission standard. Its common to most alarm transmittors, including the scorpions. You are going to have to get somebody look at this, its not expensive - maybe £60-£100 to get it sorted - but your alarm should have an immobilisor. It was a standard feature on all C' that had alarms and also on VAG approved aftermarket alarm systems. Scorpion - by the way - is also used quite a lot on Ford systems.

HELP my key ring with the button on it has fallen apart and my small key for the standard fit alarm is missing can anyone give me some direction as to replace these??