Sign in to follow this  
ReekieVR

Dead ABS & MOT fail

Just had news that the abs unit is zapped.

Getting 'rear left valve' fault. Had this last year but randomly the light did as it was supposed to during its last mot !

Garage says they have tested all the sensors and then done a VW 'test plan' which he says runs through a series of tests to confirm / isolate the problem. It is not the pump, but the unit under the expansion tank which needs replacing. Estimate: £548 for hardware and 2 hrs lab, which is alot - but not as much as i had feared.

Soo, anyone got a 2nd hand one then? Any common / cheaper versions off a passat or sharan ?

I had the same problem on mine.

Warning light was on indicating an ABS failor. All I did was pull out the light and un-plug the bulb and hope they didn't notice.

Guess what - Sailed through it's test. :thumb right:

Who needs ABS anyway. I have a feeling I'm going to regret that comment one day. :roll:

There are plenty of ABS valve blocks kicking around on ebay and in breaker's yards for Corrados. The drawback is you don't have much time if you've currently got no MOT...

I am told that the valve block is known for premature failures on the VR6..

For future reference : had the abs valve block replaced with a s/h unit (£95). No abs light now, and i saved mesel £450 in the process !

All I did was pull out the light and un-plug the bulb and hope they didn't notice.

A non functioning ABS bulb is an MOT failure aswell as the testers are supposed to observe the ABS do it's self test and then extinguish the bulb.

For future reference : had the abs valve block replaced with a s/h unit (£95). No abs light now, and i saved mesel £450 in the process !

Everyone loves a hppy ending :D

How much did it cost to have it fitted ?

I had the same problem on mine.

Warning light was on indicating an ABS failor. All I did was pull out the light and un-plug the bulb and hope they didn't notice.

Guess what - Sailed through it's test. :thumb right:

Thanks for the tip, got MOT test tmro, i know for sure these guys wont notice. I just hope they dont notice the 2 x balding tyres.......Anyone got 2x205/40/17 for sale???? :roll: