Sign in to follow this  
cymru-corrado

supercharged/turbo 16v or vr6

have been considering dropping a vr6 engine in my current valver's shell. fancy a v6 with more grunt and power, although have been considering supercharging or turbocharging my 1.8 16v.

which would be the

a. easiest (parts and fitting)

b. least expensive

and how much bhp and torque could i expect from a 16v with a charger of some format.

have slighlty been favouring a vr6 as my mate would help out with conversion to keep garage costs down but if its slighlty easy to charge my valver might go that route instead.

opinion welcome!

Turbo Technics did a KR Turbo kit back in the day, can be done now using Audi S2 parts, the TT kits come up every so often on eBay, can get around 225-250bhp if it's set up and running right... :) More if you want to start upping the boost to silly levels! There was a 16VT Mk2 in PVW with 420bhp not so long ago...

Depends on how properly you want to do it! Anything between £1.5k and £4k depending on what parts you use, where you source them, brand new or 2nd hand, whether it all goes together easily or not, etc... There was a big thread about turbo-ing valvers recently, i'll see if i can find it...

If you go for the VR or the TT lumps then have a think about some extra budget for replacement instruments (yours will be set up for 4 cyl engine), new driveshafts, gearbox, brakes and wheels too (5 stud as opposed to 4 stud pattern) ... and why you're at it new suspension too

Might be cheaper to actually part ex and get yourself the VR6 and save yourself the hassle and heartache if bits don't work or line up properly etc etc

If you want approx 200bhp then a nice G60 with some minor fettling might fit the bill ... ...

G60 16v's done right are a lot of work and you can cut corners but it seems to impact on the reliability of the setup from what some people have reported.

If you do upgrade to more power you need to think about brake upgrades, the 16v driveshafts can't take the extra power and torque so you will need to swap them for G60 ones.

As for budgeting a G60 16v then you are looking at getting a charger, which I would then recommend you get rebuilt by G-werks, so thats the better part of £1000 out of your pocket. You will also need a load of G60 parts like charger brackets, rad, ECU, engine loom, fuel rail, a mix match of 16v and G60 cooling houses, custom alternator brackets, a scirocco 16v inlet manifold, G60 throttle body, intercooler, boost tubing, lots of different pulleys, preferably custom low compression pistons although you can get away with stacked head gasekts, custom map on completion, and that's just off the top of my head!!

From my personal experience I would say it is a hell of a lot better to start with a G60 for this conversion, as most of necessary wiring and components are already in place. Done right this conversion kicks about 210bhp on a 'standard' set-up, although with various bits of tunning it is capable of kicking out over 300 (Or so I am told) The difference between the charger and the turbo is that the power is much more usable with the charger set-up - no point in having a 400bhp turboed valver if it torque steers into the hedge when the boost comes on!!

A few bits of furthur, although not extensive reading on 16v 60's can be found on some of these pages:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/16vG60/

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=76016&PN=1

http://www.bahnbrenner.com/media/php/16v.php