Sign in to follow this  
RADO.001

worth it or not?

i was thinkin bout geting sum samco silicone hoses for the vr6. but i dont no if there worth the cash or not? i no they make the engine bay look alot better along with sum flame thrower ignition lead and crome, but do they really make that big a difference in performance?

i dont know what the "LOL " is all about mate so just ignore it, samco silicone hoses is what they are ??

tbh if they improve performance it will only be the performance of the cooling system , i dont think you would notice a difference on the pedal so to speak

thats all i wanted to no, if they were worth getting or that i should be spending that cash on something more important! thanks GIXXERUK.

Samco hose do nothing for performance but are more robust than the OE rubber hoses. The VW rubber hoses are silly money to replace, like £75 for the upper rad one for example, so some people opt to replace the whole lot with samcos, which last indefinitely.

One thing with Sammies tho, they're not as tolerant of engine movement as the OE ones, so upgraded mounts are a good plan too.

On VR performance in general, don't bother with leads and such junk....focus on the mechanicals such as shcricks, cams, chargers etc instead.

GIXXERUK, the 'LOL' was referring to VR6's 'What?'. I wouldn't have laughed at the possibilty of new coolant hoses... :|

i read somewhere that if i put in a shcrick, it would be a good idea to have the cams uprated to 268, so that id get the most out of it. is that ture?

i read somewhere that if i put in a shcrick, it would be a good idea to have the cams uprated to 268, so that id get the most out of it. is that ture?

Not essential, but the 268s were optimised for use with the Schrick manifold. A supercharger or turbo will give you a lot more for about the same cost though.

I have full supercharger & Water samco hoses on my G60 fitted by JMR a month ago and while they brighten up the bay away from the OE hoses, the reason which I did mine as that I got a new water pump and the OE hoses would have all been 15 years old and some were cracking. On the down side I now have to clean the rest of the bay to bring it up to scratch.

wouldnt you want to do the schrick and 268 cams if you had a supercharger ot turbo? and what sort bhp number are were talking for the schrick&268's vs a charger?

The Shrick VGI and cams will give you about 20bhp more tops, but they will bulk out the torque curve (extend peak torque down to 2k or so rpm).

A charger will give you another 100bhp or so...

i didnt buy my vr6 for mad speed, it was the look and feel that did. so id be happy with a schrick, 268 cams, BMC, full stainless inc manifold, remap plus a few other bits to get it up to the 230bhp mark.

but dont get me wrong im not saying that a charger out of the question, you never no what will happen a year from now!

I have full supercharger & Water samco hoses on my G60 fitted by JMR a month ago and while they brighten up the bay away from the OE hoses, the reason which I did mine as that I got a new water pump and the OE hoses would have all been 15 years old and some were cracking. On the down side I now have to clean the rest of the bay to bring it up to scratch.

Ive notice the inlet and outlet hoses on my intercooler are cracking. I was thinking about putting samcos on mine. The only thing is ive got a golf fmic and wasnt sure if they would fit. Are you running a standard intercooler for these hoses to work or is there a set you can buy that will fit a fmic. Sorry for so many questions.

You can buy samcos by the metre and 45, 60 and 90 degree bends, s-bends and so on, without buying a set. So if you do want a samco'd bay, you could get it. Or, you can get it cheaper and almost cooler than samcos with using ss exhaust pipes and samco connectors.