Sign in to follow this  
saysomestuff

[MY NEW!] 6 speed box - pics p6

Cool I'll have a look. I was planning on going G60 for driveshafts/hubs - they'll go straight in won't they? Or is that why I'll need the 100mm output flange?

Also, Yan - i read on vortex that the GT'll do 60 in 6th @ 1800RPM if that's any indication, mind you it's a pretty torquey motor

Yes, you'll probably need the 100mm output flanges. Unless you get the driveshafts as well and put the mk5 inner CVs on your shafts. You cant use your old G60 box flanges as they are held in with circlips and the newer type boxes use a bolt through the middle.

there seems to be a bit of confusion around all this area.

so are we saying we can bolt the G60 shafts to a 100mm flange for a 02m from a beetle. providing the G60 shafts have been shortened to make them fit the smaller space?

G60 shafts will not need shortening, the only thing that is different is the flange size. So you can either change the gearbox flanges to the smaller 100mm ones off a beetle or change the inner CV on the G60 driveshaft to the larger MK5 type.

Beetle uses an 02J box not an 02M. The 02M is only used on cars with >180BHP

so why it it that people have the shafts shortened or ones made up.

anybody know whats involved in changing the output flanges on the box.

good thread

so why it it that people have the shafts shortened or ones made up.

anybody know whats involved in changing the output flanges on the box.

good thread

People have shafts shortened when using the 02M box, the box that saysomestuff has isnt an 02M so the g60 shafts should be the right length.

changing the output flanges is simple case of undoing the bolt in the middle of the flange and pulling them out.

mk2_20vt, Thanks for all the info, I reckon I'll be changing the output flanges to 100mm and going G60 from there to the wheels.

24V Renshaw, I hope you're watching with interest! Might need yer help with some electrics questions :)

rmn, the part number is on the top of page 2 - the box is from a 2005 Golf GT 2.0 FSI and no, I didn't buy it new if that's what you're asking! :shock:

makes me laugh that people want a 6 speed, and are prepared to go to any lengths to get one, even if those 6 gears, or more importantly the final drive is totally unsuitable for their engine and tyre size.

makes me laugh that people want a 6 speed, and are prepared to go to any lengths to get one, even if those 6 gears, or more importantly the final drive is totally unsuitable for their engine and tyre size.

Totally agree with you Paul. Ratios do need to be well matched to the output of the engine you are using and suitable for what you want to use the engine for, drag, track road etc.

This thread has been more interesting in the aspect that it is possible to find a newer VAG box that is 6 speed and pretty much fits 'off the shelf'

What are you on about any lengths? gearbox was for sale in Cardiff and I bought it - hardly walking across hot coals is it :lol:

I haven't bought it just because it fits straight in (although it's handy that it will), even if it didn't I'd have bought it, the ratios suit my engine perfectly.

i wanna see the box too. i got a 02m but it would be nice to see.

anybody got a theory as to why vw would go back to 02a/02j style box after the 02m and add the extra gear. is it like a eurospec box, the ones who do a standard 02a witht eh add-on

why don't you kust post a pic of this box up.

scared that it's all a load of bollocks?

go on, show us!!

I can show you a real 6 speed if you like, i've got 4 of them!

:lol:

I really don't see the issue here mate. I don't have a picture of the box. It's still with th guy i've bought it off. I'm going on MK220VT's advice that it'll drop straight in and as far as I could see it looks like it will.

I'll reiterate though, even if it doesn't drop straight in, it's going in, I don't give a toss either way as it's the perfect box for the engine so i'm putting it in.

I started the thread to see what issues arise from fitting a 6 speed etc, it's only developed recently that the 6 speed i've already bought may be a straight swap, what does it matter to you if it is or isn't?

Like you say, you've already got 4 :notworthy:

it's going in, I don't give a toss either way as it's the perfect box for the engine so i'm putting it in.

running 18" wheels with 45 profile tyres too are you?

no I'm putting in the engine that goes with it. These are the Passat ratios, I think it's the same box.

1st Gear 3.36

2nd Gear 2.09

3rd Gear 1.47

4th Gear 1.10

5th Gear 1.11

6th Gear 0.93

Final Drive: 3.94

on 205/40/17

coxylaad fitted an 02m 6 speed into his mk2 1.8T

hated it so much that he sold it!

be warned. I'll ask him to have a look at this thread and pass on his thoughts.

Cheers Paul,

I think it might be 3.65 FD and 0.85 in top though, there are a couple of different sets of figures for the a3 sportline and the VW 2.0 FSI.

It should be okay in that the box and engine are from the same car and my rolling radius is the same as the standard motor. We'll have to see.

should be alright if thats the case.

I'm still DYING to see if it's a 6 speed though. I'm building a mk2 with an S3 lump in it for a mate at the moment, we haven't sorted out the box yest so we waiting so see the outcome of this before I do anything else!