Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

Which head unit? Alpine or Becker?

Right I've got the choice of the following head units, so which one do I go for?

Alpine CDA-9855R

or

Becker Mexico Pro 7937

I've got the 9855R. It's a cracker, but the slide-touch bar takes some getting used to

There's sh!t loads of features on it..

The build quality is fantastic. Leagues ahead of my old Kenwood headunit (which cost about the same 5 years ago)

I also got the cda-9855, and I have nothing but good stuff to say about it. I still haven't figured out all the features yet, but it's awesome. you better have the ipod surface as well, though. You can get it with a color screen now as well though. I bought mine last spring.

the becker looked awesome though, like it cost a lot of money. it looks like it's straight out of a porsche or something expensive. Could look wonderful in the corrado slightly outdated interior.

None of the above.....

Come on Mr beige, you should know better than that :-)

You want some of this goodness......

DRZ9255.jpg

Hmmm, and back to reality..... The becker mings and their reputation for good sound but simple looks is unfounded imo. I'd actually get a Pioneer MP77 over either of those two tbh..... or the Clarion if my lotto ticket comes up ;-)

None of the above.....

Come on Mr beige, you should know better than that :-)

You want some of this goodness......

DRZ9255.jpg

Hmmm, and back to reality..... The becker mings and their reputation for good sound but simple looks is unfounded imo. I'd actually get a Pioneer MP77 over either of those two tbh..... or the Clarion if my lotto ticket comes up ;-)

I've gone for the Alpine, in the end, not a fan of pioneer stuff, even though the 77 does sound good. Just the two options I had in my budget.....

That Clarion is supposed to be awesome!

I was going to go for the Alpine but was desperate for DAB so I went for a Blaupunkt DAB 54. I must say the sound is FANTASTIC as far as the tuner goes with the DAB aerial with crystal clear stations I can't even get with my home hifi tuner. The music quality is an improvement over the Sony headunit I had. I suppose if youre not bothered about radio -then the Alpine is the one to go for

I've gone for the Alpine, in the end, not a fan of pioneer stuff, even though the 77 does sound good. Just the two options I had in my budget.....

Fair dos, Alpine aren't that bad although my 9835R is playing up already and it's only 18 months old :roll: They're not anywhere near as reliable as the good old radio/cassette Alpines of old.

That Clarion is supposed to be awesome!

It is, I've heard one. Stunning sound quality....but then it does cost $1000!

I'm into nothing but Alpines myself. Got a trusty old CDA7944R which is just THE best sounding unit I've ever heard. Proper competition spec unit with no internal amp. even the power inverter is outside the casing (which is also copper plated to keep out interference. it's the lick, £729 in 2000!!! I got it for £429, which was the same price I paid for a 7827 10 years ago!

got a 7832R and another one that I can't remember the name of!

Never even seen a Becker so I have no idea what they are like

I always go for Alpine, however ive heard that becker is some serious quality!

I use an Alpine CDA9812 which ive had 4 about 3 years and I cannot fault it!!

Proper competition spec unit with no internal amp.

That's what you want but you can't get many without amps these days, unless you go for Alpine F1 status or Pioneer P9. Both are awesome if you have the relevant fundage, i.e huge amounts!

Becker are class

the one to have you if you want to preserve some Teutonic goodness

Alpine are my choice - fiscally mainly - but I still have a cassettte head unit in my VR.

GO FOR THE BECKER!!!

Clarion have a reputation for being bollix in my opinion - I wouldn't waste my money on them.

Pioneer lost their way in the late 80's - after their foray into hi fi separates for cars!!

IMHO - and I am quite entitled to my opinion before the Uber Corrado fans come out.

My boss had a backer as standard in his old mazerati, with bose speakers CD quality was pretty good, radio was rubbish though!

I have a mate with the bose set up, but with a Pioneer P77 headunit [same as i have] And the quality is much better.

I know you cant compare lfl in different cars, but i cant see the becker being worth the price they charge for it!

I used to repair in car audio for a living and regulary saw the Becker's coming back with problems.

I'm not gonna say Alpine dont have problems but I would choose them over all the rest.

Jus purchased an alpine screen avi d300 and always used alpine and never had a problem.

Need to get it fitted, so any suggestions near the berkshire area will be appreciated.

I'm into nothing but Alpines myself. Got a trusty old CDA7944R which is just THE best sounding unit I've ever heard. Proper competition spec unit with no internal amp. even the power inverter is outside the casing (which is also copper plated to keep out interference. it's the lick, £729 in 2000!!! I got it for £429, which was the same price I paid for a 7827 10 years ago!

CDA7944R is what i got. very good unit. im a big fan of Alpine