Sign in to follow this  
H8RRA

ABS Light probs

..just done the heater matrix and the ABS light is now illuminated permanently - and as i found out, it is indicating an issue - skidded at 120+ earlier this morning and slid to the left :shock:

Any idea's - don't see why unplugging and re-plugging connections should cause any issues???

Hmmm - did it just come on after you skidded?

I'd check the connections not for getting the BPPS...

Also - the ABS ECU - any change it got wet from the Matrix? (I assume the old matrix was leaking?)

H8RRA, another thread just reminded me that the ABS relays are behind the glovebox, they are usually very tight but may be worth re-seating them and checking they didn't get wet as they are even nearer the matrix than the ECU...

H8RRA, another thread just reminded me that the ABS relays are behind the glovebox, they are usually very tight but may be worth re-seating them and checking they didn't get wet as they are even nearer the matrix than the ECU...

....goos idea - nothing got wet as it was in inlet pipe in the engine bay that cracked - i'll give them a whirl

this sounds related to my prob. My rad sprung a leak a couple of months back. When the engine got hot enough to produce a load of steam the light would come on. After the rad was changed the light has been on all the time except if it goes on a long run (+50 miles).

When I 1st got the car I jet washed the engine bay and had the same problem. I solved it with a squirt of WD40. I have tried the same this time but to no avail.

Sounds like a damp problem. Could anyone confirm that this could be the cause of my problem & if so what has been damaged. Is it a relay or something more serious?

I tested the ABS by an emergency stop at 30mph. Lovely black skid & loads of smoke so the ABS is defo out.

mine lit up for a day - i think the fuse had worked loose (shoving it back in worked anyway)

edit: can't have been the fuse - just looked in the manual and the spoiler is on the same fuse, but that was still working. i'll get me coat.....

LOL I tried that also. On the subject of fuses my lecy windows failed the other week. Pulled out the owners handbook and it said the fuse was behind the relays on the main fuse box.

I gave up looking after 10 mins. Am I missing something?

Ended up flicking my fag dog ends out the sunroof (after pressing the sunroof button 30 times to open it 10 cms)

I think that is the relays> I was looking behind them. Hold on I have a huge manual I bought off eBay here. Will look in there. Its the size of 2 yellow pages so I amy be a while!

The manual says the same as the handbook.

Seperate fuses (located above the relays)

Fuse for power windows 20 Amps

I looked above the relays and found no fuses. The picture in the manual does not help.

possible cause

My ABS light was on all the time for a while. I diog the problem to being the sensor on the front disc, which needed replacing. It had lost it's resistance. put a volt meter across both of the sensors and check both resistance are the same. If one is reading very low this is the dud sensor.

new sensor fro Vdub was 37 squid

-----------------------

Corrado VR6 1995

Standard Spec and not modified with 38K on the clock

H8RRA, did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have just finished my matrix today and the first drive the abs light came on as soon as i pulled away.

I changed my Suspension recently and sometimes mine appears to come on and go off???

I have since noticed that on heavy breaking at times, the pedal looses its feel as if the ABS is kicking in when I didn't feel it needed to as I wasn't applying that much presure!!!!

Mmmmm (Another Job to do on the list after investigation?????!!!!!) :roll:

That because you lowered the car and didn't back off the rear compensator so the compensator thinks you have two hulking great chaps in the back and what is actually happening is your rear wheels are locking up slightly and triggering the ABS.

That because you lowered the car and didn't back off the rear compensator so the compensator thinks you have two hulking great chaps in the back and what is actually happening is your rear wheels are locking up slightly and triggering the ABS.

Arrrhhhh..... Ok, How do I do that then???? I've never heard of anyone mentioning that this needs to be adjusted before, when they deck their cars.... :? , Although I see where your coming from...:)

Arrrhhhh..... Ok, How do I do that then???? I've never heard of anyone mentioning that this needs to be adjusted before, when they deck their cars.... :? , Although I see where your coming from...:)

We keep mentioning it in threads on the forum ..

Water in the ABS ECU, which is in the left hand side, kick panel, extremely common.

Hmm it was months between the matrix going and the refit, so Im not sure where the water came from if it is, but if it is? will it dry out?

Hmm it was months between the matrix going and the refit, so Im not sure where the water came from if it is, but if it is? will it dry out?

It's often caused by a blocked leaf mesh in the scuttle area. The water can wind up running down the inside of the car instead .. Or so I'm told..

Take the ABS controller out and liberally dose it with WD40 or electrical contact cleaner. Should be fine, as long as it hasn't shorted 12V across anything sensitive.

If it has, ABS ECUs are cheap and cheerful on the 2nd hand market.