Sign in to follow this  
pacificshack

Wheels > lowered or lowered > wheels?

More confusion, I'd do it the other way round.

Putting anything wider than 7/7.5 will begin to compromise the handling. As long as the offset is 35-40mm, then any diameter wheel, with the right size tyres should fit no problem.

My 2 cents :mrgreen:

Lower it first. Cars look ar5e on bigger wheels if they are not lowered, but lowered cars on standard wheels look cool.

Also bigger wheels can exaggerate handling characteristics so sort the suspension first.

Jay

Fit coilover suspension and give it a reasonable drop.

Fit wheels and adjust suspension accordingly to get the perfect rideheight.

he hasnt said what size or width wheels hes going for,so if he lowered it,then bought the wheels he wants,then finds out they wont fit because its been lowered to much whats he going to do then ?

Lower it first. Cars look ar5e on bigger wheels if they are not lowered, but lowered cars on standard wheels look cool.

Also bigger wheels can exaggerate handling characteristics so sort the suspension first.

Jay

REally... mines running on standard 15" steelies right now and dropped it looks like poo. Still.... without the drop it would look like poo, so who's complaining :lol:

Can't wait for spring time and my nice shiney 17's back again..... :cry:

he hasnt said what size or width wheels hes going for,so if he lowered it,then bought the wheels he wants,then finds out they wont fit because its been lowered to much whats he going to do then ?

Good point, I suppose it depends on where your prioritys lie. For me Number 1 is suspension setup/ride height, followed by wheel size/design. But if pacificshack values his choice of wheels over susupension set up then maybe wheels first. Trouble is if he gets the wheels first, then fits suspension and has problems with rubbing, unless it is adjustable he'll be in the same situation whatever order he does it in.

I think we need to know from pacificshack:

A. What size wheels you want to run. Width, Diameter, offset, Tyre size.

B. How low you plan on going.

C. If A or B are a bit extreme i.e. 18" wheels lowered 100mm, which one you would compromise, or if no compromise would you consider bodywork adjustments?

Mine is on 7.5 x 17 wheels with an offset of 33mm. I have 205/40 R17 tyres and it is around 40mm lower than standard. I have no problems with rubbing even with 2 rear passengers, other than on full lock the O/S tyre just catches the plastic wheel arch liner.

Get different wheels. :)

Jay

Jay

After doing things the other way round and regretting it, i'd go with jay.

cars should be the right height before wheels are changed.

Get coilovers, fit wheels then wind them all the way down :lol:

you might need too raise them until they stop rubbing though :lol:

Wow! Hope I haven't opened up a can of worms on this one!

OK, this is what I am looking at doing. I'm thinking about buying these:

AEZ AP72 17x7.5

4x100 PCD

35P OFFSET

From what I have read so far these will fit. They are the same wheels that G60Dan has on his.

My car still has standard ride height at the moment. How far down should I drop it? I'm not looking at trying to end up with a 'bad boy' car, just want it to look plush.

Thanks

Ian

205/40 tyres shoulld sort you out a goodun, bit of stretch means less risk of scrubbing!

Drop 40mm if you dont wanna go to low. they should look smart..

Got 215/40/17 on mine with roughly 50mm drop and get slight rubbing on full lock and apart from that all ok with no arch mods.

Also tyre sidewall design makes a difference got Toyo T1-R on and their quite square looking which makes them more likely to scrub.