CoxyLaad

The Definitive 4wd Conversion thread

Fascinating discussion. I sincerely doubt I'll ever get to drive any of these combos, but it sounds like it might be fun .. :)

not as fun as I’d hoped, almost 6 years of fun in a VR Corrado but the Golf came up short. it was no slouch but I couldn’t see the potential in the car so I called it a day and started new plans

to be fair the rear end did very well in the wet, I lapped a nats faster than a Vectra touring car in torrential rail at Donny and lapped all but one car on the day, not bad for a 1.8t with no diff and only 2wd :lol:

4x4 has it's moments..... my mate's tuned up impreza just goes from the lights in the dry...no spin at all and is why they pull a 5.5 to 60 with 'modest' (his is mapped to 290 horse) power. But in the wet, it's slightly amusing as all 4 wheels can spin up if you stoke it enough, LOL!

My mate was genuinely surprised when my Rado was glued to his bumper on our favourite section of B road.....but that was in the dry. In the wet the odds tilt in his favour. We are equal in driver skill I'd say and we weren't fannying about.

The only 4x4 I've been in that was stupendously good at everything was an Evo FQ340, and as Phat says, the grip was so abundant that it almost felt boring to drive. It seemed to be one step ahead of me all the while and boy can you feel the diff computers working! Constant fore and aft torque shifting aswell as left and right torque splitting. You need to be a prize muppet to lose and Evo 9.

Anyway..... I would have been keen to see what Ian's car would have been like FWD with a diff, but he's dead set on 4WD now and good luck to him, I'm sure it'll be a good move.

never seen (I’m sure there is one somewhere) a scooby that would live with either the golf or the Corrado in the wet, may seem far fetched but I have got hours of video’s to prove it

I hear what you're saying. We were on a wet dual carriageway intersection roundabout once, which is shell gripped, and I had to back off the gas because the impreza was washing out so much. They are setup for mild understeer by default (fewer average joes can cope with oversteer than they can understeer) but it was struggling. When asked later on what he was up to, he just said it was understeering like a pig and couldn't get the rear diff working....but the Rado just breezed round and could have carried more speed if he wasn't in the way :-)

He's since dialled in more neg camber at the front and added the whiteline ARBs but the Rado is still all over it.

sorry I was talking about on the track not under road conditions.

I’ve never seen a Scooby with mild understeer, they tend to have massive understeer followed by massive oversteer and a magnetic pull towards the grass :lol:

just think though, with haldex, you can just turn it off! (or unplug the diff) as it's electronically controlled. so he CAN see what it's like without it after all.

(no CAN-gate pun intended (bad haldex joke))

Ah OK, my bad....

LOL....he's nearly ended up in the ditch on many occasions :-) Good straight line tools they are, but not a patch on an Evo, by miles, cross country or on a track. It would be interesting to put a charged R32 4x4 rado against an Evo FQ340 on a track....

but he won’t know what’s it’s like with the 2wd rear beam and will he fit a quaife etc if he’s going 4x4?

if he runs it as it is he could have it on the road in a few weeks

he won't be fitting a quafie. he'd have to sell the 4wd to fund it.

yes, true, it could be on the road. in fact, if I were in his position, I would acutally get the engine done and take it for a spin in 2wd for a laugh, then bring it straight back in and cut the boot floor out.

LOL, me too! The R32 as, proven by yours Phat, has tonnes of bottom end and as an experiment it would be a laff to see what it's like as FWD first, just depends if Ian can be arsed to try it or not!

Nice.... mine only makes 170lb/ft at 1800rpm, and doesn't hit 200lbs until 3200rpm (10 more than a standard one makes at 4600rpm), so yeah, that much grunt at such low revs could prove interesting on a wet day!

he won't be fitting a quafie. he'd have to sell the 4wd to fund it.

yes, true, it could be on the road. in fact, if I were in his position, I would acutally get the engine done and take it for a spin in 2wd for a laugh, then bring it straight back in and cut the boot floor out.

yep its true, unfortunately if I want to go and get a diff, I am going to have to sell the 4wd gear to finance it all, so it is in fact one or the other, no going back.

I cant really try it in 2wd first either as the engine has to come out to fit the front half of the prop.

I am going 4wd, more as an engineering project point of view, just to say i did it (again). If its cr@p then I will do something with the back axle. I always liked the idea of making my own rear axle :D

I am going to try and source some eccentric rear bushes so I can play with the rear camber. But all that comes later, I just want it on the road for now.

Well I will have a drive when you are done as I can compare 24v V6 with a diff against it. :)

Bring on the 24v Track day shoot out :) (although I need a bit more power first)

Jay

I've already spoken to Elliot at PVW about a 24v shootout, he's VERY interested. Got a few more cars with them in now too!

Thing that annoys me so much about the corrado is the fact I can't use its full potential in the wet! My mates rallye pisses over me till 50 and thats just annoying cos he is a worse driver than me!

4wd all the way

Thing that annoys me so much about the corrado is the fact I can't use its full potential in the wet! My mates rallye pisses over me till 50 and thats just annoying cos he is a worse driver than me!

4wd all the way

Been out in a VR6T fwd, overwhelming impression was, this thing needs 4x4. Still brilliant seeing peoples faces when it lit up the tyres accelerating from 40mph.