Sign in to follow this  
JBOB

Clunk :roll:

I haven’t driven my car to much since November as its been in the bodyshop and then getting the bodge work sorted :lol: but Yesterday I went to see my parents/brother in London and drove the 400mile round trip in my car with no problems.

Once back in Huddersfield I found that everytime I went to pull away from the army of traffic lights we have here there would be a loud clunk noise and I could also feel it through the pedals :shock: It wasn’t doing it everytime but its very worrying.

The only work ive had done on the suspension has been the top mounts that needed doing at the MOT in September but Ive probably only done about 700 miles since then :cry: :( :cry:

Im going to take the front wheels off and have a good look if this rain stops tomorrow but what should I really look for ??

Cheers J

Does it feel like metal on metal?

Does it feel like the clutch pedal is sticking (perhaps on the dash trim at your feet .. ?)?

Does it still happen repeatably, or does the car need to be warm?

Does it happen when you press the brake pedal?

When it happens are you already off the clutch?

Does the car lurch when it happens?

So many questions ........

Might be an engine mount

Pop the hood, turn it on, put it in gear find the bite then watch to see if the engine moves backwards and forwards lots

could be exhaust?

good luck i use to have continous knocking all sorted for the time being lol

Does it feel like metal on metal? Not really sure but could be :oops:

Does it feel like the clutch pedal is sticking (perhaps on the dash trim at your feet .. ?)? No

Does it still happen repeatably, or does the car need to be warm? Just the same when hot or cold

Does it happen when you press the brake pedal? No

When it happens are you already off the clutch? Yep

Does the car lurch when it happens? No

I had a new clutch in August last year and Ive got a RPT soild front mount that I got on the cgti GB, but I havent checked the bolts for it since its been back from the respray.

I still haven’t had chance to check under the car :roll: Anymore ideas guys just so Ive got more chance of finding the problem.

check that mount mine loosened off (I HAVE SAME MOUNT) top mounts come loose,, i wlways find it best to check the bits that have been touched last! i guess that goes for cars and stds!!

Ill check all the mounts tomorrow. I dont think the rear engine mounts have ever been changed so now might be a good time :lol:

Can I use the Mk2 diesel ones for both ??

i changed the rear gearbox one for a golf diesel on mates 16v and changed mine to a vibratechnics one, the old one wasn't that worn though, would like to know if the rear mk2 td fits as mine needs doing too.

Why are you using a SOLID mount?

What are on the side mounts? From your answer, saying it happens when off the clutch, then the engine mount sounds plausible.

However, as suggested above, odd movement to the engine may mean a cracked exhaust downpipe.

I presume it only happens on firm accelleration for a short period of time and does not continue for a mile or so. If its a short thing, try to think if its immediate, ie when the engine rocks backwards, or is it as you go to change gear, this engine rocks forward (in which case Id suspect bolts on the RPT to be loose/sheered). If its this, you should be able to consistently make it happen on your driveway.

Even an exhaust that, for some reason, pivots in the middle can be know to hit the underside of your car; but then I wouldn't expect you to feel it through the pedals.