Sign in to follow this  
Rams

Leaking Gearbox

Hi all

My dub is leaking oil from the gearbox, could this just be a seal? The leak looks like it is in the centre of the box in the middle. Its the lowest part of the gearbox that you would see if you stuck your head underneath.

It looks like its a join and its annoying my mum as the oil is everywhere. I will get it done asap I just wanted to know your opinions and would the gearbox have to come out?

I need my clutch done as it makes a noise when I pull away like its struggiling. But I havent got that much cash at the moment as im going on holiday in a couple of weeks.

Any ideas welcome. Other than that, I need the followers done and my car should be free of every problem so not much more to do till I start really going to town on the engine.

Sounds like one of your flange seals has popped it's clogs and the gear oil is collecting at the bottom of the diff casing and dripping onto Ma's lovely block pave drive. As I always say with box leaks, please make sure it is gear oil first, just smell it, it's very pungent and peanuty.

If it is a flange seal (suspect number 1 with 020 and 02A boxes), isolate which one and remove the inner CV. You may need a puller to pull the flange out but sometimes they just pop out after you've removed the circlip from under the rubber dust cap.. There is a spring behind the flange and a copper thrust washer. Check the latter item and if it's split in two (common), replace it ASAP as that and the flange springs act as mild diff locks for handling benefits.

Insert a nice new seal (020 seals are L & R handed, so check if this applies to the 02A when ordering) and refitting is the reverse of removal, as they say.

If it isn't a flange seal and it's defo gear oil, it might be a shredded gearbox input shaft seal and the oil is again, dripping out of the bell housing and collecting at the bottom of the box.

Preferably it's the former. Do the sniff test first.

Kev

Forgot to mention.....you may need new flanges also as the seal tends to wear a groove into the flange. Fitting a new seal over a worn flange will have you repeating the seal job soon after. Another tip is to seal the dust cap over the circlip with silcon sealant as the caps sometimes fall off, flooding the inner CV with gear oil in the process. I think that's just about it!

Kev

kevhaywire, Cheers dude, I have just had teh head gasket done and there is no oil leaking from the engine and I can see it coiming off the box.

Am I looking at big money? Or just a few seals and maybe the actual flange? SO take the drive shafts out and check the seals? Could this problem have anything to do with my car making a funny noise when I pull away or would that definitely be my clutch? It feels ok but as soon as you give the clutch some throttle it makes a weird noise. Im sure you understand what I mean?

Basically is this a job I can do - I do have mechanic mates that would help me but I may need a special tool? I think Halfords sell them.... I need to get it sorted then my car will be leak free! Any extra advice would be great and thanks for the good reply. Appreciated Kev.

I've found with 020 boxes that when you replace a seal on one side, the other side goes shortly after, so it may be wise to do both sides whilst you're down there as I'm pretty sure the 02A is very similar in that respect.

You don't always need a new flange, depends on mileage and visual condition.

The flanges aren't that expensive new and neither are the seals.

I've just had a quick snout at my VR box and the diff appears to be symmetrical, so the seals should be same for both sides. Do double check with the dealer first.

You need to see which seal is actually leaking. There may be a wet spot on the bulkhead and/or the steering rack. If not, you'll have to climb underneath and do some detective work.

The only special tools you'll need are a 10mm spline key for the driveshaft bolts (always replace these as they are stretch ones), a flange removal tool (a long bolt through a short peice of metal) and maybe a pair of circlip pliers for the clip under the flange dust cap.

The box will need draining before you pull the flange out. The old seal can be levered out with a screwdriver but the new one must be fitted carefully, making sure it's square and flush with the diff casing and avoid touching the inner seal lip as they split easily.

Doing both sides should take no longer than half a day on axle stands and the parts (2 x flange, 2 x seal, 2 x dustcap) should be no more than £100 but it's been a while since I've done it, and it is a Corrado, so costs may have risen over the years.

Cheers

Kev

kevhaywire, Thats really helpfull. i will print this off and show my mechanic friends.

Thanks again mate

I'm gonna resurrect this as mine's going into the Phirm on fri to have a leaky box sorted out - they said it's the outer diff seal that's gone; is this the same part as being discussed above? If so, anyone got any part numbers for that and the other bits that want replaced at the same time?

cheers!