Sign in to follow this  
willg

vr6's sound different when cold

i know this is a pretty boring question, but do all corrado vr6's sound different when they are cold, almost sounds like a whining noise but disappears when warm,

is there an advancing of the engine or a automatic choke that does this or is it just my corrado.

cheers

willg 95 vr6

Yes it's mainly power steering pump whine you can hear......A) because it's at a higher rpm than normal (cold idle) and B) the PAS fluid is colder and thicker, giving the pump a harder time.

I find VRs drive at their best when the coolant is just under 70 degrees as it's warming up, pulls like a bloody train :-)

yeah i find with that temperature it is generally more responsive. By the way does anyone elses water level go dowm slightly and have to top it up every 3 to 4 weeks (when i say top it up probably about half a pint of water)

i know this is a pretty boring question, but do all corrado vr6's sound different when they are cold, almost sounds like a whining noise but disappears when warm

I thought it was just mine, it's good to know you're not alone! :)

hey my corrado is a twilight violet, not seen many of them have you VR6 - 100% ABV

Twilight Violet (oo-er!)

Will

Can't say I have. Mind you, I don't see very many Corrados at all up here! I was in Coventry visiting my big sister a few weeks back and there seemed to be tons kicking about down there.

By the way does anyone elses water level go dowm slightly and have to top it up every 3 to 4 weeks (when i say top it up probably about half a pint of water)

Yep.... and it was the heater matrix :?

Well don't panic yet, it could be any one of about 7 other expensive components leaking instead!!

Start by making sure the expansion bottle cap is tightly screwed down ...

By the way, we'd discussed the whining noise, and I think we'd come to the conclusion in another thread that it was probably the oil pump.. (Since it still happens if the water and PAS pumps are disconnected ..)

If it is the matrix, it's not that bad a job.

If the expansion cap was blowing off coolant through a leak or venting air locks, there would be water marks on the bottle and probably on the surrounding areas. Is this the case Will?

The Main water pump and the thermostat housing are favourites for leaking.... and puddles over night?

By the way, we'd discussed the whining noise, and I think we'd come to the conclusion in another thread that it was probably the oil pump.. (Since it still happens if the water and PAS pumps are disconnected ..)

If the oil pump was worn enough to cause a whine, wouldn't it be worse when the oil was hot and thinner?

Only saying because someone took the aux belt off and started the car when cold and it still did it.

If I'm wrong, fine, but what else could it be?

Oil pressure is very high when the oil is very cold, your theory about the PAS pump was based on the same assumption, but I'll wager the oil warms up much more quickly than the PAS fluid.

You can't be sure it's the pump without getting it on a ramp from stone cold and 'listening' to the sump with a stethoscope.....

My noise is external of the engine, i.e. pulley area. Haven't tried the no belt trick yet as it's a pain in the arse to do that with the charger.

I can't be sure, no, cos I didn't do it. But someone here did and said "it still made the noise"...

Who cares? All VWs do it anyway.

hey kevhayware,

the expansion tank is newish and the water pump is new as the car was loosing water a few months back, when the garage had it they pressure tested the system and the (electric)water pump was the culprut. i must say the heater does smelt slighty perhap hot anti free water smell when the car is cold but aprt from that there are no water leaks i can see or any water marks on the floor