Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

VR6 MAF sensor prices

If anyone needs a MAF sensor for their C VR6. They can be obtained from Bosch directly for £150 exchange or £200 new. VAG price is £276 inc 10% CCGB discount! All prices plus VAT.

I think Euro Car parts do them for £200+VAT too but I can only find an AAA sensor (Golf hot film) on their site. G&S don't do them at all.

If ordering from Bosch (via a garage) the Bosch part number is - 0280 213 021

Double check with your dealer before ordering as there are two MAFs listed, one for non-DIS VR6s and the other for later DIS equipped cars I suspect.

The difference between exchange and new is simple. Bosch re-use the plastic tube and install a new voltage sender, plat wire & temp sensor and stainless meshes. The extra £50 for a new one just means you get a new tube aswell. I went for an exchange and the whole unit looks new to me, so better off getting the cheaper one.

How do you know if you need one? If the VR feels down on power and nothing comes up on VAG-COM, it's usually the MAF. The throttle pot is used as a back up but if it's carbon tracks are worn down, it'll cause problems also.

Kev

Cheers for the tip Kev,I think that mine should be quicker than it is but I guess that the only way of proving this is to square to another VR6 that is defo running well?!

John

I fitted mine today and it made a big difference. The engine is a lot smoother than before and really takes off past 3,500rpm. 4th and 5th gear acceleration is where you notice the change the most. The way the engine feels in first gear is also much better, a quick dab on the throttle when you see a gap on roundabouts is all that's needed for a rapid get away. Before it needed a bootful of revs to pull away cleanly.

Well worth it imo.

And of course, if anybody knows of a cheaper source of MAFs, then please spill the beans!!

Cheers

Kev

Wow, digging out a dead old thread. Anyone know for sure which MAF this one is that GSF are selling?

18786D AIR MASS METER G3 VR6 65.00

Hot film or hot wire ... ?

I purchased an exchange unit from GSF for around £80. Will check the exact price tonight when i get in, but it was a Bosch one... Well the housing was anyway :?

Kev, i thought you weren't running a MAF :?: Was having a long chat with Guy on sat night, and he wasn't convinced that running without a MAF is a good thing... Have to say that i'm stuck in 2 minds myself, as the ECU has no way of detecting airflow, unless there's another way it can read it?

... But then Vince knows what he's talking about, so im sure there's nothing to worry about...

Steve

Well if yours is a hot film, -462 and it came in at only £80 (I presume that was after the exchange rebate?) for a new, original part that's hard to argue with.. :)