Sign in to follow this  
Bendy

cars lumpy on start up

as the subject says when i started my car (1992 k vr6) this morning it started fine but was idling a bit higher than normal, reversed off the driveway and as soon as it started to move it was lumpy as you like and could smell petrol inside the car, moved it back onto the drive after it had died on me. any ideas as what could be causing this? did a search and the isv problem keeps coming up, and it has been dying on me when i've been slowing down coming to a junction etc etc. also the car is low on fuel and had been sat for a week 2 weeks ago, so could the c rap from the bottom of the tank got through and causing the lumpyness???

HELP!!!

Sounds like a clean of the ISV wouldn't go a miss using some carb cleaner. If its been sat for two weeks in this weather you'd been grumpy and lumpy too. Mine does the same if its been sat for a while. Sometimes, it almost has a misfire but soon clears it throat.

If its dying coming up to junctions then defo clean the ISV.

T.

yeah thats what i was thinking timo but its been fine for a week, been starting 1st time and this morning started with a high idle and as soon as the go go pedal was pressed it started with the lumpyness and then died!!! would that still be the isv or a totally different problem altogether???

Perhaps, probably just cold.

Mine occasionally does random things similar to yours, but soon sorts itself out.

Wouldn't worry about it too much. Its just the vr6 doing its thing.

yeah could be something or nothing i guess timo ill give it a try when i get home see how it is then. if still the same then i'll worry!!!!

Think someone else had similar symptoms recently and it turned out the MAF had a broken wire ...

Started mine up today and it was very lumpy due to it being wet and misrable the last two days its been standing. The rpm was up and down a little,and was miss firing like mad ! This was the effect we got when steam cleaning cars at my dads old garage.We used to have to blow out the dizzy and leads to get the moisture out. The car would hardly drive down the road it was embaressing ! After a while it got better and better intill I got to a roundabout and noticed a groan from the rear,pulled into the petrol station,Ive only got a f ing flat tyre aswell!! After putting the spacesaver on for the first time of its life in the p ing rain, I drove home and forgot about the shopping I had to do I just wanted to go home!!

Anyway by the time I got back it was running its normal self again,and I do hope it was just the damp and nothing else! If anyone can think of anything else it could be please let me know!

VRT

cheers for the replys boys and girls and as dr_mat suggested it was to do with the maf so is being sorted 2mo.

thanks once again guys and girls