Sign in to follow this  
retroactivefunk

Vibration at 3k

Have you checked the spot welds on the cat heatsheild?

Transmission mount is oil filled (hydraulic) so look for signs of a leak - a good upgrade is the solid rubber one from a mk2 Golf Diesel

Heatshield wouldn't really cause a vibration would it? Just an annoying noise.

Transmission mount sound likely...

Mine used to vibrate because it was loose but not badly and certainly not enough to vibrate the dash.

had a similar problem but at 4000rpm - many weeks later I found out the inside of one of the tyres was badly bubbled and blistered...its caused vibration throughout the car almost as though it was going to breakup

If 16v says his dash vibrated, can only believe him. There are so many different sheilds on this darn car. The ones at the back of the engine bay just seem to clip onto locators on mine; thats very close to the dash. I found my sheild much lower down was loose and vibrated - this simply made a terrible noise and no incar worries.

Always check the cheapest items first. Costs nothing to check for a loose sheild. Then start probing for the expensive bits

STORM 2 - I presume the steering wheel vibrated badly though?

do you have an aftermarket exhaust fitted? I got nasty vibrations on my valver after I had a new system put on, although the fitters thought there was loads of clearance between the exhaust and the front running gear, on acceleration that gap closed and caused a really nasty knocking/vibrating which I could feel through the pedals and see in the dash. system off, few extra bends, sorted.