Sign in to follow this  
harryc

20mpg in my G60, is this unusual??

Hi there,

i recently bought my G60 and i love it, very clean car and lovely to drive. One thing i noticed was that it seems to eat fuel, according to the mfa its doing 20mpg cruising in 5th, i cant get it any higher than this even on long motorway journeys. Is this normal?!, (engine has had a fair amount of work done, mods listed in my sig).

harryc, Are you sure your car's a 1994 g60? ...

Yeah I was wondering about that myself - I thought they stopped them on a J plate! :?

my old one was registered in 93 but prob made in 92, id stay away from MFI mate try the MFA might see some better figures! seriously my guess is you have a jabba chip they just dump a huge amount of fuel through at anything other than tickover so get a SNS chip in there asap!

my old one was registered in 93 but prob made in 92, id stay away from MFI mate try the MFA might see some better figures! seriously my guess is you have a jabba chip they just dump a huge amount of fuel through at anything other than tickover so get a SNS chip in there asap!

Bill - Your Guess is wrong- Assumptions are Source of most fuck up's. This Car is allready running one of our ePROM's But Obviouslly its previous owner didnt tell HarryC the whole story. HarryC Contact G-werks for more info on this car.

:) thanks, will do. Sent you an email about coming down on friday, did you get that?

sig edited!

Harry - yeh, Im surprised too; I mean thats quite a lot, Id be expecting less; drive harder !!! :lol:

Anyhow Harry, don't believe what the MFA says; the only way to know for sure is to DIY. My MFA always says 25mpg yet it gets 4 more than that on mixed use, town use is about 20+4 for me in the 2.0L. C says "ooh, Optimax, yum yum"

yeah g60's love the go go juice. don;t except more than 250 per fill up. motorway miles included : )

I easily get 300 miles out of a tankful, MFA showing 38mpg over the last 3000 miles, I know this is inaccurate, working it out manually I'm getting about 34mpg and its not driven particularly gently

guys, just a quick one to point out... as soon as you change the ECU chip on a G60 you mess up the MPG setting on the MFA...

This is because the MFA relies on a vacuum/boost feed from the engine to know how hard the engine is working at whatever speed it is you're doing... as soon as you change the fuelling of the engine by changing the ECU settings, the MFA's lookup table for how much fuel is used at what boost/vacuum point becomes inaccurate and the display will show inaccurate results...

The ONLY way to accurately work out your MPG on a chip'd G60 is to fill the tank to the brim, run the car making note of the milage when you filled up and then refill at the same pump and work it out from there... :|

My g60 has a jabba chip, and the MFA says it's averaging 38mpg.....so it would appear that Henny is right :lol:

My g60 has a jabba chip, and the MFA says it's averaging 38mpg.....so it would appear that Henny is right :lol:

I dream of 38mpg. Never looked to see if ours has been chipped but I get about 25mpg on a good day.

I worked out after topping up a few times that I'm only getting 12mpg :cry: The MFA has a much more normal reading on it though. I'm having idle problems as well so I don't know if it is related. I've got a few parts to whack on this weekend which hopefully might make a difference

I get better fuel economy than that out of my somewhat none-standard engine, so there's something not right there markp

If your REAL MPG is that low, check that your vacuum hoses aren't leaking, that you don't have a burst boost hose, and check that your Lambda probe is working... My bet would be on a dead lambda probe which is making the car over-fuel horribly... I'd bet that your plugs are black if you take 'em out and look at 'em due to running very rich... ;)

Thanks for your advice Henny, but I changed the lambda probe last week. The CO levels were super high before I did this but haven't checked since. It definately didn't make a difference to the fuel economy though and I'm not sure if I'm still spitting flames.

The next thing to change is the flange that attaches to the head that houses the coolant sensors, as I can see a bit of white residue underneath so assume its leaking water. I have also got new sensors as well as I have been told the blue sensor can cause running probs if its dead?!

I will check boost hose and other vacuum pipes as well over weekend. Cheers

that flange is plastic so is a bit bob. replace it and get an new blue swithc too. put a wideband up her and set the fueling when warm to 14.5:1-15:1 at idle.

check yer fueling once on the move too. look for 12s on boost. low 12's to be safe.

my sns chip is set high on the c0_pot as they seem to run safe rich as standard. think im in the 900ohm area.

markp, cool, if you changed the lambda, then that's one thing off the list... check the wiring though, as you may find that you've a dead wire from it which'll cause the ECU to still think it's faulty...

Blue temp sensor death CAN cause over-fuelling if it fails showing the engine is cold (basically, the engine is running on "choke" all the time)

Good luck!

Blue temp sensor death CAN cause over-fuelling if it fails showing the engine is cold (basically, the engine is running on "choke" all the time)

I did think this but the thing thats strange is it gets better as the car warms up. Which I assume would be the opposite if it was the blue sensor?! I have got the parts anyway so I will see if it makes a difference. Before I fitted the Lambda I was almost certain that would fix it because all symptoms pointed to it (spitting flames, high co, fuel consumption, and generally running poorly) but obviously I had no luck. I will double check the cables again just in case that is the problem.

does sounfd like a bad earth or power to the probe.

are you engine mounts good. if not they cause havoc with G60 02 probe wiring.

Actually I have only just changed my front engine mount so this could have caused the problem (I suppose the others could be on there way out as they would have been same age). Any idea which mount normally causes the problem? I did check the cables and they seemed fine so I just left them. I will take another look when I get a chance.