Sign in to follow this  
Rpmayne

Refurb Speedlines or sell as is?

I've got two sets of speedlines, both of which need reconditioning. I need to get rid of one set due to space, and I can get them sand blasted and powder coated for about £160 per set.

What do you recon they would be worth in tatty condition with no tyres compared to reconditioned with no tyres? Would be easy to get them done at the same time, and would hopefully make them easier to sell, just don't want to loose anymore money by the extra value being less than the reconditioning costs.

I would have thought you're looking at an absolute maximum value of £100 without tyres and that's assuming they're not too horrific...

Get one set done professionally and keep them then do the other set yourself for about £30 then punt them. Ive done it a few times and its suprisingly easy to get a good finish.

Agreed, tatty speedlines without tyres are worth maybe £25-50 and no more, depending on how tatty they are ..

Mint speedlines without tyres are worth about £100-150 so there's no way you're going to get your money back for the refurb...

Agreed, try and sell them for a bit as they are. Someone might want them as a spare set of winter wheels.

I'm pondering same except I have only one set and they're firmly in use. Selling in a few months time and not sure whether to recondition or not. They're seriously tatty. :oops:

So what about the value of the whole car (v good nick otherwise) with new shiners 8) ? Would i get my money back? I've seen a whole range of quotes for the work.

Probably won't get the value of the work back if you sell the car but might make it easier to sell.

The other set of speedlines I have don't look as bad as I first thought, will take a few pictures and put them in the for sale section once I've got the others reconditioned. From a distance they look pretty good.

That's a good point, a refurb'd set might not add £300 to the value of the car but it might mean the first person to look at the car buys it and wants to knock you down less!

Yeah, good point - it's amazing how the condition of the wheels can change the overall appearance of the car.

I put new VW centre caps on my Golf and it made the whole car look so much tidier.