Sign in to follow this  
Musicman

My Photos Indexed - find your car

I've completed indexing my online photo gallery (at least all the shots of VWs :)). That's around 3,000 photos at present.

http://www.cybertects.co.uk/gallery2/main.php

so you can now search for photos I've taken of your car by simply entering the registration number into the search box and hitting the return key...

Makes and models are also indexed, together with most colours and angles of view

I've adopted the following scheme for the order of details in the keywords

Make (e.g. Volkswagen)

Model (e.g. Golf)

Spec (e.g. GTI or Scala)

Mark (e.g. Mk1, Mk2, etc. with no space after Mk)

Colour (e.g. white or Pearl Green where I know the VW colour name)

Other interesting details (e.g. Borbet, clear indicators, etc.)

Angle (front, rear, side)

Use the word detail at the end of your search string to single out close up shots.

Use % as a wildcard. Searches are not case sensitive

so you can type in

corrado%blue%debadged

and find pictures of blue, debadged, Corrados :wink:

Have fun! :)

P.S. For those of you who may have concerns, the reg number is only visible in the search results when you're actually looking for it already. It is also not displayed on screen as text at any other time, so it shouldn't be accessible/indexable by general Internet search engines like Google.

I'm also going to post notes mentioning the reg number search facility only to the following sites where I think we know each other fairly well already:

- No-Rice
    - The Corrado Forum
    - The Scirocco Register
    - ClubPolo
    - The London & Thames Valley VW Club
    - e38 (perhaps)

Excellent photos!! I love your long exposure night shots!

What lenses are you using on your 300d ?

How much better is the 17-40L over the kit ?? One day i'll replace my kit with an L lens, but money is going into a long wildlife lens first, 500mm or so.

How much better is the 17-40L over the kit ?? One day i'll replace my kit with an L lens, but money is going into a long wildlife lens first, 500mm or so.

On a 1.6 sensor, I'm occasionally gobsmacked by how good it is.

Now this is at f10, I'll admit, but it caught my eye when doing the PP.

CRW_6397_croplocs.jpg

CRW_6397_crop01.jpg

CRW_6397_crop02.jpg

Then again, the 17-40 cost nearly as much as the 300D did. :?

That is a truely cool search, Must have taken you ages to list all the major features in each pic.

Hats off to you sir.

On a 1.6 sensor, I'm occasionally gobsmacked by how good it is.

Then again, the 17-40 cost nearly as much as the 300D did. :?

That is very impressive!! I know what you mean about L lens prices, the camera body is the cheap bit really :)

Keep up the good work!

If you're after a long lens (and have plenty of upper arm strength :)) it may be worth checking out the Sigma 50-500mm f4-6.3, AKA the 'Bigma'. There's a new DG version out.

Not used it myself, but it's very popular with Birders on dpreview.com.

Fixed focus, the Canon 400mm 5.6L seems quite good value.

Yeah, thats the one i'm leaning towards, it weighs nearly 2kg :shock: ... i'd love the prime as its very fast and razor sharp, but I think it will be too limiting not having any zoom. Was also looking at the Canon 100-400L IS but thats nearly twice the price of the Bigma!

Got the 17-40L myself, but I find it depressingly soft in the corners (worse than kit lens @ f8 ). I've sent it off to Canon to get them to take a look at it, but I think I'm not the only one with this.

Centre frame it's gob-smackingly sharp though... And just the way things look is nice, it's really classy. It doesn't flare, which all the cheap zooms do in spades - you can point this thing *at* the sun and it just takes a nice picture..

You went for the f2.8 50mm Macro lens? Interesting choice. I went for the f1.8 for the extra low light performance, and a +4 dioptre filter for those silly macro moments.. (but frankly I think the kit lens is better for mid-macro work - it'll go to 0.35x on it's own).

I still use the kit lens, cos it doesn't shade the pop-up flash. But for daytime work, it's 17-40L all the way ...

I'm looking forward to the 17-55 f2.8, I think that holds some promise for an uber kit lens replacement..!

[by the way, I am liking the extra gallery2 features ... must upgrade my server sometime ... ]

You went for the f2.8 50mm Macro lens? Interesting choice. I went for the f1.8 for the extra low light performance, and a +4 dioptre filter for those silly macro moments..

I still use the kit lens, cos it doesn't shade the pop-up flash. But for daytime work, it's 17-40L all the way ...

Oops! f2.8 is a typo. It should be the 50mm f1.8 EF (MkII to give it its full title). Cheap at around £70, but great. No Macro involved anywhere.

I solved the pop-up flash shadow problem by buying a Speedlite 580EX :)