Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

Early/Late Slam panels

Can someone point out the differences in early and late slam panels?

I ask because, i had a bump in rado, managed to get all panels replaced including slam panel. I went to shut the bonnet for a test and only the passenger side closed the drivers didnt and the bonnet is slanted. Now i measured the wings (diagnally) when i replaced them. Cant see how come the bonnet doesnt fit as it should as the panels seem to be correct spacing ETC. Now ive managed to rag the front pass light out to release the bonnet but having trouble doing so.

Are the holes that the bonnet "springs" go into in the same place on both late and early slam panels?

Any help appreciated.

perhaps your bonnet has been having sexual relations with your neighbor's camry, and caught an STD? It happens all the time here in Norway.

The only thing I know is different is the mountings for the grille.

when you say it does not fit, do you mean its hitting the wing, because if you bonnet oins dont latch then it will look peed up, i have the opposit prob where as when i pull my bonnet pull it only pops 1 side, make sure your latches that grab the pins on your bonnet are visable when looking down on the holes, hope this helps mate

well the prob is i didnt attach the wire for the bonnet pull properly so it cant be used to open the bonnet, But i think its down to the bonnet not fitting properly. Like i say one side has gone down the hole that it should go down. The bonnet doesnt run parallel to the wings, its slanted. The gap increases along the wing (from window to the front of car) that i had to replace, while the other side the gap gets closer to the wing and will even over lap on the side that is ok. Can the bonnet be adjusted with the bolts that hold it onto the hinges to straighten it. I think all will be ok if the bonnet is straight.

Any ideas as to why the bonnet is not straight? I measured the wings so they are in the correct position.

Yes the bonnet can be adjusted by the bolts that hold it to the hinges......you may also need to adjust the closing pegs so it sits correctly at the front edge when closed.

if nothing matches up even after you have adjusted the body panels then it will be time to get the tape measure out and check the chassis

Nah the chassis will be fine. It was only a small bump. Glad to hear the bonnet CAN be adjusted, gave me some hope ther Valerian, Cheers bud, you dont know how much that means to me. Want my baby back on the road.

Another Q while we're at it. I need to seal the inside of the wing, what seal should i use?

i'm running an early slam panel with a later vr6 bonnet and the only problem i find is the bonnet catch in the centre doesn't quite match- (needs pushing in as you close bonnet)

early/ late slam panel differences certainly won't result in the different alignments your experiencing, just need to adjust bonnet at the hinges.

i met a man who was gonna buy a bonnet off me as he had had a light bump (appeared just enough to crack grill and sightly bend leading edge of bonnet) but my square bonnet would never fit the space left as his chasis was slightly twisted, - so is worth checking before spending money elsewhere!!

Well ive just finished at having another go. Managed to get bonnet to close but its slightly raised at the bumped side and the bonnet is up against the wing on one side and theres a slight gap between the bonnet and the wing on the bumped side. Ive measured the wings from the front of one to the back of the other for both of them and theyre 59" apart. So the wings appear to be online.

i think a good idea would be to remove the pins on the bonnet? and then sit it right down to align it on the hinges?

then when you put the pins back on(finger tight),you can tweak em (they slide around) to fit nicely?

probably a crap idea :lol: unless you are having trouble to get it to close/line up.

Neil.

oops,just seen your reply at same time as mine :oops: damn!

maybe adjust the bonnet pin on the bumped side,so it pulls it down?

if i remember right,you undo the biggish nut(lock nut) and then turn the pins clockwise.

may need some gland pliers etc to grip the end and turn.or i think theres a couple of flats in where the spring is to get a spanner on?

Neil. :)

edit,to your edit:possibly m8,they alter inwards/outwards,and slide around for alignment.

both were regarding the bonnet pins 8)

if you have a look,you will see the nut that you loosen off sat against the bonnet.this then allows you to turn the pin either in or out which obviously will lower/raise the bonnet depending.(for closing purposes)

and the pin will also slide around.

Neil.

sorry m8,i dont want to confuse things more than needed.

ok,heres what i would do,although im no trained body guy or anything :oops:

1a/remove both headlights/grill.

1/first you need the alignment right down either side.

to do this you need the bonnet to sit flat at the front,no bonnet pins in the way,so they need screwing off.

2/now your bonnet will sit right down with no pins confusing the side alignment.

lay the bonnet flat and check the lines against wings.(see my other reply if height is an issue)

slightly loosen the bonnet hinge bolts (just enough to nudge it around,but dosnt move while you lay it down to check it)

keep doing the above (nudging the bonnet on finger tight bolts) untill the alignment is good.and nip the hinge bolts up.

3/now for the front slam alignment,screw the pins back into the bonnet and just very slightly nip up the big lock nut.

slowly lower the bonnet while crouching down and watching the pins align with the holes in the slam panel.

maybe use a knocking stick to just nudge them into a rough alignment.

now try and push the bonnet down fully/closed and walk around the sides and check the height of the bonnet.

if it needs lowering/raising on one side adjust the rubber seat on the slam panel(or are they on the bonnet?) screw them in/out as needed.

and if it isnt closing fully/correctly then adjust the pin in/out as needed.

keep tweaking the rubber seats/pins untill happy,and then carefully open the bonnet for the final time and nip everything up in position. :D

---------------------------------------------------------------

sommet like that anyway :lol: im very tired and i dont handily have a corrado on my desk :lol:

Neil.

with regards to number 2 above...

if you find the bonnet sitting too low/too high which then throws the gap off to the sides,then just tweak the rubber seats (highlighted blue above)

Neil.

no no mate very helpful.

One question, half way down no.3 you mention something about rubber seats that can be adjsuted. What are they? And is it the slam panel or the bonnet theyre on? If on the slam panel where are they?

yep,i sorta remembered about them half way through writing :oops:

im just searching for a pic that may show them as my memory is sh1te :lol:

Neil.

ok,not the best pic,they are on the slam panel. :D and are threaded,so you can turn them in/out.

from the bottom left of pic.

5 mouse pointers across and one high :lol:

chargerenginebay1.jpg

thats the one m8 :D are they present on your slam?

gonna have to shoot now (baby duties :oops: ) would be cool if someone could reccomend trying my idea above,as like i say im no expert but i normally manage most things i havent tried before.

good luck with it m8 8)

Neil.