gradeAfailure

The Suspension Discussion Thread

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of Weitec coilovers? They do a Hicon GT coilover for just £475?

Or as i am on a budget would it be better to just go for the Ultra GT suspension kit that lowers 40mm, i know a couple of people have these and say they're good.

I'm just looking for a suitable lowering, preferably adjustable ride height with not too stiff a ride. My cabin rattles a fair bit and i live in the middle of gloucestershire so want a fairly comfrotable ride.

I need to replace the rear shocks as they're leaking and want a bit of lowerage but only have about 500 quid to spend :(

Any help at all appreciated!!

Weitec are the same company as KW who's coilovers are used extensively in top level motorsport (German DTM/WTC etc),so i'd imagine the're very good.

i think basically you won't go far wrong with Bilstein,Eibach,H&R or KW - all top coilover manufacturers..i can tell you from experience the Bilstein PSS coilover kit is super smooth as is the H&R Comfort kit or whatever it's called.

I am thinking to go the PSS coilover as well, so they actually make the car ride smoother than standard? I do not want to lower the car too much either, maybe just an inch is that possible or even on the highset setting it will lower the car 40mm? your help on this appreciated.

Not exactly smoother than standard,but i was surprised by how subtle the ride was/is,just make sure you keep the topmounts/bushes standard (& replace them @ the same time as you do the coilovers if they haven't been done recently) or it'll be a totally different story.

IIRC the car dropped about an inch as soon as i fitted them without touching the coilovers - it's not really possible without removing the rear helper springs to lower them too much as the back coilovers run out of thread pretty quickly unlike the H&R's..

If i get this Weitec kit i will have to buy bushes aswell correct? How much do standard ones cost, i've seen poly bushes on g-werks but they're pretty steep! Worth it i'm sure but i am living on a budget as Christmas is drawing in.

Just get OEM bushes. Only a couple of quid each. GSF sell new wishbones with them already pressed in, so even though you'll spend a bit more on the parts, you should end up actually saving money cos the labour for changing the bushes will be less.

Poly bushes improve the handling, but I found the ride in my last valver unbearable after a while- it was fitted with FK Konigsport coilovers and poly bushes all round. And as for the squeaking... :mad:

Some bbs rx's, off a guy on this forum. Getting a bit off topic but they're mint condition too literally look brand new!! Really pleased with them :)

Not exactly smoother than standard,but i was surprised by how subtle the ride was/is,just make sure you keep the topmounts/bushes standard (& replace them @ the same time as you do the coilovers if they haven't been done recently) or it'll be a totally different story.

IIRC the car dropped about an inch as soon as i fitted them without touching the coilovers - it's not really possible without removing the rear helper springs to lower them too much as the back coilovers run out of thread pretty quickly unlike the H&R's..

Thanks for the prompt reply I am not looking into lowering the car at all if possible as the roads here could get nasty and front lip will go very soon! I have got all the bushes/top mount changed with the standard original stuff, so thats alright, so its possible to maintain almost original height with the PSS and PSS9 is just to hard am i right?

Thanks again

so its possible to maintain almost original height with the PSS

Yup just about - you should be fine with ride height..like i said it drops about an inch straight out of the box,but still feels pretty heigh..i've lowered mine as low as it will go without removing the rear helper springs & there's still room to drop it another 2-3cm

and PSS9 is just to hard am i right?

Nope i would have thought you can set up the PSS9 kit exactly how you want it - very hard to very soft..all it does is give you adjustabilty (compression and rebound) over the PSS kit..if your feeling flush buy this kit,but to be honest the standard PSS kit should meet your needs unless you do a lot of track days etc..

you may well find you can buy the H&R kit for around £150 cheaper than the Bilstein PSS kit,for that sort of money (ie £550) i would be seriously tempted because there's not much to choose between them.

altough friends who have been in my Corrado & another fitted with H&R's have said they prefere the ride in mine,i'd be quite happy with either TBH..

The H&R RSS clubsports are very similar to the PSS9 and they have MUCH harder springs than the regular H&R coilovers. I think the same is true of the PSS9. They're pretty much track orientated coilovers. The only thing that seperates the two brands is their choice of spring rates, the dampers are identical.....but the H&Rs are slightly cheaper.

Right I am looking at coilovers for my 1990 raddo! I dont want it stupidly stiff but firmer is good I want it farely low. Its going on 16" design 90's. Looking at fk ak Kit and the supersport ones with fixed dampening and adjustable height? Opinions of both a required who know what????

Ak Kit

http://www.venommotorsport.com/images/p ... ch/kit.jpg

Supersport

http://www.venommotorsport.com/shop/Sus ... ntent.html

Thanks in advance for replying in a much covered subject!

Tony

nikki had the ak's on her vr before we fitted the highsports. Very impressed for being a budget coilover kit. Ride quality is good. Only downside to the AK's was the threaded adjsuter tube isnt stainless so best to sheath it in somethng to protect the threads

hth

Gav

I am looking to buy some coilovers for my vr and have been offered some Weitec Hicon GT's at a very good price. I am aware that these are good coilovers but my only worry is that they are only heigh adjustable and so i cant adjust the damping etc and i have WIDE wheels on.

If i have rolled/grinded my arches and get these and have them sitting fairly low will i have any issues with the wheels or will they be alright?

Rob.

The adjustment in that price range would only be rebound anyway, which won't stop your wheel flipping up into the arch so quickly. You need bump adjustment for that and bump & rebound adjustables (aka 2 ways) are expensive.

I suspect the GTs will be tailored for more all round ability and won't be overly firm, so your wheels might catch. It's very much a suck it and see thing. it's taken me years to get the right suspension and wheel combo!

Well at the minute i have soggy suspension with no bump stops in the back so they bottom out quite easily and they dont rub at all unless i have someone in the back but i havent took much of the arch lip off the back and would take more off when i fit my coilovers. These will surely be more solid and a better setup then the soggy gay g-max i got now :lol:

Ah in that case then, you should be fine with the Weitecs! No bump stops, LOL! You should be catching all the time without those as they're designed to be ridden on permanently :-)

Ah in that case then, you should be fine with the Weitecs! No bump stops, LOL! You should be catching all the time without those as they're designed to be ridden on permanently :-)

Yeah its a bit ... shall we say bouncy :lol: It catches like a biatch with someone in the back but with just me and someone in the front they dont catch after grinding the arch lip. But like i said i only took a bit off so could take a load more off when i fit the coilovers.

Karl - Thanks mate, i looked at them but didnt know whether they were any good! The guy offering me these Weitecs cant praise them enough (even though he's obviously trying to make a sale :lol:) and they are owned by KW and are his best seller with no bad feedbacks or warranty problems so cant be bad!

I think i will go with the Weitecs. Seems a good offer for good suspension to me.

Rob.

Well i bit the bullet and ordered the Weitec GT's in the end off of Darren at G-Werks who done me a great deal and the guy on the phone was very polite :lol: so big thanks to g-werks. I should have them mid next week so will post my verdict when they are on.

Just out of interest, how long roughly do coilies take to bed in? And are they easy enough to adjust the height?

Rob.

Jus tlike to say thanks to darren at G-werks as well, quality price mate, ordered mine today!

I've got some BBs RXII's off my old mk3 anni so there the 7" wide ones will these look too skinny on the C? to be honest i was never really happy with how they were on the golf but after my TT wheels it was just good not scrubbing the arches, even after removing most of the inner plastic!

I'd love to know how you get on herisites, i'm seriously considdering a set of 16x9's so keep us informed how much scrubbage you get!

cheers

andy

Ok, its time for a suspension update............mine is a little tired, and needs some love. I want to keep things sensible (e.g. less than 40mm drop), and comfy, so was thinking about the Koni TA/H&R route, which seems to suit my budget also. I started trying to find these on the web, but can't seem to find somewhere that sells the TA's, without springs, just the full kits. This got me thinking.............anybody running the Koni SSK kit (the one with TA's and Koni lowering springs)? How is the ride/handling? Unfortunately, my only reference is 10 yr old OEM legs.

Cheers,

Phil

Ok, going to place my order today for Koni's and H&R's.........The only thing I'm not so sure about is which dampers. I can either have the standard sport TA's, or the short ones, and can't find out from anywhere which to fit.

Can anyone help, as I want to order these TODAY!

Thanks,

Phil

Am looking at upgrading my VR to either FK Highsports or Konigsports. Is the only difference that the Konigsports are adjustable or are they a better damper all together?