gradeAfailure

The Suspension Discussion Thread

just wandering if anyone can help with the cheap coilovers spread on ebay at the mo, being at uni i cant really afford the top end stuff so just wandered which of these may be best for short term solution seeing as im not too clued up?

http://url.the-corrado.net/2f5e6f Are these fk?

http://url.the-corrado.net/3ee222

http://url.the-corrado.net/8627d1

http://url.the-corrado.net/20f0eb

http://url.the-corrado.net/3d7f06

Think these are the same but theres slight differences in where the shorter spring piece is, some at the top and some at the bottom, is there any difference?

and finally these look similar but the springs are different (wider), again does this make them better, worse? thanks for the help

http://url.the-corrado.net/6d9df9

http://url.the-corrado.net/ddd651

on my budget which would be best value for money, i know something like fk's are obviously better but at the mo there sadly not an option, thanks again

Ok I thought I'd update my experiences with the H&R RSS Clubsport coilies as i've covered a fair few miles with them now.....

I changed back to 15 inch speedlines and I have to say the car feels absolutely spot on now. The suspension copes so much better with the smaller/lighter wheels and pretty much everything is transformed. I still loved it on 17s but it is way harder in terms of ride (mainly the lack of squidge in the tyres i'm guessing) and the suspension definately has a harder time coping with the 17s. And to be honest the interior of my car was literally getting shaken apart!

But with the 15s on the clubsports absolutely rock in my opinion. Road-holding is epic. Turn-in isn't quite as sharp as with the 17s (tyres again) and the car moves around a bit more in fast cornering. Ride comfort is now prefectly acceptable too. Even the kids commented :)

Highly recommended.

Still haven't had a chance to fit my fks. Had a bit of a nightmare and had to send one of them back as the adjusting nut seized :cry:

Also didn't realise that they don't come with the bearings or nuts on the front so if you're gonna have a go fitting these yourself and don't want to strip down the old ones to nick parts then atleast buy the bearings and nuts (available from VW for a couple of quid each). I'm taking everyones advice though and have ordered a full set of top mounts from G-Werks.

Will post again when i finally have these fitted

Fitted the rears yesterday and was a piece of p!ss, took 2 hours on my own. It's obviously been a long time since the rear wheels have been off as they'd stuck to the hubs, but a swift kick from behind and off they came, and that's about the only trouble I had :). Got them set up the same height as the front, will drop them further when i fit the front's this week.

So easy to adjust! Don't even have to take the wheel off or use the spanners, just jack the car up and you can do it by hand!

Howdy everybody,

It's been a while since i first posted here, but seeing as i have liturally just finished installing a set of FK silverlines x (they are just shiny FK konisports) i though i would share the experiance.

Mark a vey good friend of mine helped with the installation, basically took around 5.5 hours, simple stuff just nuts and bolts at the end of the day, but a decent trolly jack and air rachet definatly helps! (Cheers Mark). Problem areas can be taking the top nut off the front suspension as the nut will just twist the damper rod (for want of a better word) around. There is a pro tool to do this, but if you can get hold of one, a air rachet with a dog clutch will have the nut off in seconds.

Take your time put the stuff back on in the correct order, ie the top mounts etc and you'll be fine.

Oh one final tip, don't fully tighten the rear stut bolts fully untill they are under load, ie with the wheel on the ground, they have a rubber bush with a metal tube running through it, this can split if the nut is tightly on then the load is applied.

Finnaly get the pros to sort out your tracking becuase the toe/camber will be way out.

I set the car up height wise to be around 2 fingers from the top of the tyre to the arch, it dosn't sound very sientific, but all sides match, and that's what i wanted asthetically. My vr is running 17" RS4 recplicas and the overall look is amazing.

I choose the FK Silverline X becuase of the abilitiy to change not only the height but the actual damping as well, it goes from fairly complient, in soft mode, to bloody hard, i wouldn't recomend driving the hard setting on roads any less smooth than race track finish.

here's some piccys on my mates site: (you'll have to forgive me for the state of the wheels, I kerbed then in 15 miniutes of putting them on!)

http://www.olop.net/gallery/v/cars/corr ... 4.jpg.html

G

Oh heck, just for a laugh, I am gonna add another manufacturer to the equation:

AVO - SPORT EVO GTZ

http://www.avouk.com/pm/4

Adjustable damping & ride height, race spec springs and well i suppose, just read the spec.

It looks like the build quality is excellent and from my discussion with John at Proven Products, they would give the Koni 1150's a run for their money as well as being in the region of £50 cheaper.

The other good advantage, is that the coil over can be returned to AVO in the UK for any repairs that may develop with wear & tear, therby saving some hard earned cash, not having to buy a complete replacement.

So, who's got any of these or know anything abouit them?

Oh, use will be for road & sprinting.

Cheers

Kev

Having just done a track day at Thruxton I'm really starting to warm to the Gaz Golds now, although I do think I need stiffer front springs and (name dropper alert!) British GT Champion Calum Lockie agrees with me having driven my car with me as passenger. God, that was awesome (and slightly frightening). :)

Had my KW V1's on for a few thousand miles now and the ride quality is great. Reasonably firm but not harsh in the slightest. Would definately recommend them for someone looking for a good value stainless kit.

looking for a cheap but good set of shocks and lowering springs for my 2.0 16v anyone got any good recomendations

Had my KW V1's on for a few thousand miles now and the ride quality is great. Reasonably firm but not harsh in the slightest. Would definately recommend them for someone looking for a good value stainless kit.

Ive got a set of these on mine and they are excellent, not the cheapest but certainly not the most expensive..

Had mine done with new top mount at Gwerks and the car has felt and looked brilliant since. Highly recommended..

I have what i belive to be bilstein dampers not sure what spings, lowered aprox 60mm and vr6 comfort pack top mounts (so im told :oops: ) standard BBS wheels 195 50 15 avon zv's on front good cheep last minuet tyre good year egals on back ok. Handels really well no wallowing no tyre squat/bounce little under stear at high sped but thats the way i like it :roll: . bit hard for day to day driving need a chiropracter over pot holes :cry:

I have what i belive to be bilstein dampers not sure what spings, lowered aprox 60mm and vr6 comfort pack top mounts (so im told :oops: ) standard BBS wheels 195 40 15 avon zv's on front good cheep last minuet tyre good year egals on back ok. Handels really well no wallowing no tyre squat/bounce little under stear at high sped but thats the way i like it :roll: . bit hard for day to day driving need a chiropracter over pot holes :cry:

I have no idea what "VR6 comfort top mounts are" - never heard of them.

Standard VR6 wheels are 205 50 R15, so 40 profile on a 15" sounds a bit strange.

60mm drop is a big drop, so I would hope that the dampers have been matched to the lower springs or handling will be quite compromised - the car will be under-damped for a start

The problem i have is that the last owner lowerd it so i dont know the exact drop. I measerd the height from the ground to the bottom of the front bumper it measured 85 mm in the middle so just took a guess (prob wrong)

have you got any clues what it might be.

HI Guys, need alot of help here, hopefully from people who are used of driving on irish (so called) roads, more a large pothole with smooth parts only dividing between potholes :) . I want a suspension that is low but I cannot lose the comfort due to above, it's a weekend car, but still want it to look sexy. will be putting 16's on it not sure what yet, 17's on at the mo are are rubbing the plastic trim inside, and dont think they suit the car :?:. Is their any way of find whats on it at the mo, or do i have to take them out :?: . Have read the whole thread, so have narrowed it down to 2/3. Thks for any replies :wink:

Morgan

G60

If you can afford them then defaintely go for coilovers. You can set the ride height to what you want, i.e. as low as possible without causing problems on the road. I think it's worth going for some with adjustable damping too, as fixed damping can often be set too hard for cr@p roads. I've got Fks fitted to mine and would recommend them, although I haven't tried any others

Just to add another flavour to this thread, I recently went out in my mate's MK4 GTI with Koni FSD dampers and Eibach springs (+ Neuspeed ARBs) and all I can say is, I wish those FSDs were available for older VWs, they're flippin amazing!!

MK4s handle too when you apply the right mods 8)

Its been suggested that my suspension is possibly one of the reasons for my dreadful, ongoing handling problems.. considering getting it changed as and when funds allow for something nice, new and shiny.

Does anyone have a reccommendation for a good, basic, set of coilovers - they don't need to be ride damping adjustable (have it atm but never use it!), but ride height adjustment would be nice. Want them to be ideally suitable for 95% road use and 5% hoonery :) Ride wise I would prefer something fairly in between - I don't mind a firm ride but don't want crashy as the roads round here aren't exactly in a good state! At the moment the Weitec kits sound nice as they're more affordable than the Koni and KW type stuff.. anyone have experience of these sorts of kits? I will start skimming through this thread at some point but at 14 pages I need to set aside a bit of time!! :)

Does anyone have a reccommendation for a good, basic, set of coilovers - they don't need to be ride damping adjustable (have it atm but never use it!), but ride height adjustment would be nice. Want them to be ideally suitable for 95% road use and 5% hoonery :) Ride wise I would prefer something fairly in between - I don't mind a firm ride but don't want crashy as the roads round here aren't exactly in a good state! At the moment the Weitec kits sound nice as they're more affordable than the Koni and KW type stuff.. anyone have experience of these sorts of kits? I will start skimming through this thread at some point but at 14 pages I need to set aside a bit of time!! :)

I HIGHLY Recomend a set of WIETEC coilovers, i have them and the ride is nice, firm but bouncy, dont think ive ever had it crashy once. Cant go wrong for £450, i got set of top mounts aswell for £50, so for £500 fro G-werks u got whole new set up and love it!

Here's the kit...

3.JPG

Just sent (a month ago.... :? ) my pss coilovers back to Bilstein for a few modifications which include shortening the the whole damper body and softening up the whole setup a bit to cope with the crappy road surfaces around here, as they are quite firm as standard which is fine for the continent.... I'm hoping to get back a suspension setup that lowers the car 30mm or so (before adjusting the platforms) but retaining a decent amount of the travel enabling me to still get a slightly softer ride. Hopefully i'll get them back in the not to distant future....when i've got them right I'll get a whole bunch made for some of my mates locally and anyone else interested?

The regular H&R coilovers are the 'comfort' version of the pss.

Interesting though, keep us posted. I'd be interested to know what spring rates Bilstein use on your 'custom' kit when it comes back.