Sign in to follow this  
lottysvdub

getting hotter

hi guys again i need some info , my 2ltr 16v was sat in heavy traffic tonight and as you would expect the coolent temp starts to rise to around 100, not to much to be concerned about but then she slowly rised to just under 110 :onfire: ,this did get my butt twitching a little , car didnt over heat just rose a little higher than normal , anyway when i got home checked under bonnet , loads of water and oil in the engine (and it was in the correct places ) the only thing i could find was the connection on the engine bay temp sensor was broken , i think this only works when the engine is switched off when hot it keeps the fan running ? the temp got up to 100 and then the fan kicked in and dropped it down to 90 . anyway what i want to know is , is the sensor in the bottom of the radiator the switch that controls the cooling fans , as im thinking of wiring the the fan up to a switch so when stuck in traffic i can fick the fan on and sit there happerly knowing im not going to over heat , thanks for any info and sorry for bringing this subject up again guys :multi:

Not too sure about the valvers, but on the VR you have a black, yellow and blue temp sendor.

The blue one is for the ECU, one of the others is for the rad fans and the last one is for the MFA.

Not wildly helpful, but be of use if you search for temp senders?

I'm not sure what exactly your problem is here..if the fan is kicking in then its OK...the fan has three stages of kick- in ( loads of info on this on the forum)

Make sure you replace the broken temp sensor and you should be fine.

You can bypass the system by shorting the terminals on the main loom that goes in to the fan housing (this wil test fan function) but why rig up a switch if the cars not overheating?

thanks dinkus and storm 2 , your info will help me out , sorry for seeming off :oops: , just a little fustrated with my car :( , ive been looking around the engine bay at the sensors , changed the run on sensor , the one in the radiator seems to have been butchered at some point so ive got to repair them asap , im just a little concerned that the temp was 110 standing in traffic , thanks again guys your help is appreciated :)

no problem, Ive been there with temp issues...nothing more frustrating. 110 for brief periods isnt a problem - remember the coolant is under pressure - the fan should kick in at this temp and keep it from rising further