Sign in to follow this  
Jonny_L

Strange revving problem

Hi guys, I've got a strange problem with my VR.

Just pulled into the driveway, and it's revving by its self basicly!

It's an auto, so in drive it sticks at about 1000rpm at idle, which is obviously high anyway.

When it's in neutral, it'll rev by its self between 1000 and 2000 rpm, up and down rythmicly, without my foot on the pedal.

A few weeks ago, i turned it on, and it revved it's self to 3000, i put my foot on the pedal once and it stopped and stalled.

I keep thinking back to when the previous owner told me the MAF is on it's way out. dunno if could be something to do with it maybe?

Unless it's haunted, of course.

Cheers, Jonny

could be MAF, could also be a dodgy throttle switch/throttle position potentiometer, or the ISV being sticky...

Clean the ISV, check the throttle switch/potentiometer is working properly (will probably need VAG-COM on a VR6) and check (also with VAG-COM) for any MAF related errors...

Cheers, I cleaned the isv out and it seems to be ok now, unless it's an intermittant thing somewhere else. Mind you, the isv was really filthy.

I guess it's fingers crossed for now.

Thanks for the advice.

Jonny

Got basically the same problem on the G60, they thought it was the throttle boby but has turned out to be the isv, just quoted me over £200 for a new one!! Think i'll be cleaning it out then!

Cheers, I cleaned the isv out and it seems to be ok now, unless it's an intermittant thing somewhere else. Mind you, the isv was really filthy.

I guess it's fingers crossed for now.

Thanks for the advice.

Jonny

Ah beat me to it. Mine did exactly the same when I had a bit of sponge jammed in the ISV. Glad you sorted it.

... I had a bit of sponge jammed in the ISV.

What, Victoria Sponge? Does your car run on cake?? :)

... I had a bit of sponge jammed in the ISV.

What, Victoria Sponge? Does your car run on cake?? :)

If only, it would probably be cheaper than petrol! No it was from the Idle Valve sound deadner, the sponge inside that had disintegrated with the heat from the exhaust below and I had multiple spooky revving scenarios for about a month until I found all the bits of sponge! The later sound deadners have a metal heat shield on them to stop that.