Sign in to follow this  
tim20vt

2.0 16v ill running

my 95 2.0 16v isnt quite runing right its had new plugs dizzy cap and fuel filter,it has a slight miss at idle every so often u can fell the revs dip very slightly,and when driving at say 3000 rpm it fells to be holding back like u need to floor it to get it to clear,when acellerating hard it seems ok but when it isnt it seems like its holding back any ideas what might cause this sort of bother hot or cold it does it,leaky exhaust at cat or down pipe or faulty lambda? my last rado wouldnt idle but ran fine where as this one idles ok but doesnt like been held at constant lower revs andy parts that normaly go to cause this sort of thing so i dont have to go buy loads a bits in the hope of sorting it,plugs look good in colour so i dont think its running rich or anything any ides would be great.thanks

the plugs looked pretty good but i have no idea how long they have been in and the new ones only a few days but if you wanna expand on ya thoughts on what would cause these problems shud it be running lean,i did do a search but theres so mutch information id be sorting through it for the next few weeks :) and non realy releating to a problem described like this..any ides at all would be great or things i could check.

What colour is 'pretty good'?

The place to start with a 2.0 16v is generally an exhaust CO test followed by a fuel pressure test.

this sounds the same prob as mine, i think its my lambda probe thats gone. just bought one from GSF and will fit it to my car soon. fingers crossed it will sort it out.

my plugs are slightly white

this sounds the same prob as mine, i think its my lambda probe thats gone. just bought one from GSF and will fit it to my car soon. fingers crossed it will sort it out.

my plugs are slightly white

White plugs, as you probably know, are a sign of running lean. I was under the impression that failed Lambda probes normally cause over-fueling, although that may be wrong.

I bought mine because i foolishly thought the 16v engine was bomb proof!!

The 1.8 16v pretty much is :)

I have had loads of problems with lumpy running on my vavler, to save a long post the crux of it was a hole in the vaccum system. Also it is running very lean, I'm going to have to take it upto Stealth for a chip re-map which should sort it. I gather that the KE-Jetronic fuelling system on the 9A lump is not adjustable, so you can only sort out lean running with a chip re-map.

I'd give Vince at Stealth a call and get it up to him for a check over if possible.

Image172.jpg

bit of a bad picture but does that look ok,there the old ngk ones i replaced with the bosch 4 ones.

lol think its my crap camera phone or they are lobster hands :) if the lambda or cat wasnt working right would the plugs be mutch darker then?

if ether the cat or lambda were not working then the plugs would usualy have sooty carbon deposits on them , but this is also not always the case most cars with cats will have plugs running light grey or even almost white , one of the quickest ways to check the cat is if you have access to a digital temp probe pref a laser pointer type check the temp at both ends of the cat , the back end should be hotter were the exhaust flows out , as the cat is supposed to re heat the unburnt fuel to give you low emissions :)

I have had loads of problems with lumpy running on my vavler, to save a long post the crux of it was a hole in the vaccum system. Also it is running very lean, I'm going to have to take it upto Stealth for a chip re-map which should sort it. I gather that the KE-Jetronic fuelling system on the 9A lump is not adjustable, so you can only sort out lean running with a chip re-map.

The 9A system is KE-Motronic. It's adjustable to a point.

like i said mine had a similar problem

i checked the timimg, resealed some joins and also changed the lambda probe.

cars fine now, hope this helps

From somebody that knows nothing on these engines, which pipes form the Vacuum system?

Chris

TBH I'm not 100% sure. But to check for leaks get a can of carb cleaner (and fire extinguisher) and spray around the rubber pipes at the top of the engine and around the air filter while the engine is running. If there is a leak the flammable carb cleaner will be drawn into the engine and cause the revs to increase.

The fire extinguisher is just in case... :)