Sign in to follow this  
ZippyVR6

Vr Starter Motor, CLICK

Mine is shagged,

turn the key and click, and a lesser click when you release the key,

As the car sits int he garage most of the week, I thought it would be the battery not having enough charge and tried with jump leads but nothing.

tried hitting it with the soft end of a hammer also and that didn't work.

is gsf my best bet? has anyone got a spare lying around or is it not worth messing with used starter motors.

Finally I can just see it so is going to be interesting to change, but is there anything I should know about changing them, like is it also connected to something important or can it just be unbolted and the new one fixed on?

I had a look in the search and all I could glean was not to power one up when not attached to anything!!!!

Lots of questions I know but as always, thanks all. :D

Could well be the ignition switch... It's what the Passat was doing when the switch went... Get a 2 foot length of thick wire with a female spade crimp on the end (I can make you one if you like!), plug it onto the starter motor solenoid, get someone to turn the ignition on, then touch the other end of the wire to the +ve terminal of the battery - if the car starts, it's your ignition switch.

just make sure the car is out of gear when you do this... i didnt once the car shot forward and knocked me over.... :oops:

Ok, Cheers Dave, Worth a try, Might have to make appearance in the merc on sunday if stag and hounds is still on. also might take you up on that offer if you have any 8 guage wire lying around. Mine got all used up for the ICE.

just make sure the car is out of gear when you do this... i didnt once the car shot forward and knocked me over.... :oops:

My uncle did something similar years ago and put a crack up the wall of his dads garage. :D