Sign in to follow this  
corradogang*

20 valve turbo or R32

As above thinking of getting a corrado again and having an engine tranplant form JBS auto designs i know the v6 has the soul but which would be the way to go?Has anyone got any experiances relavant?

I noticed in pvw there is a corrado 20v running some very fast times for fwd car.. what sort of power has this corrado got ?

From what people say the 20v is the way to go for big power AND reliablity but obviously 270bhp is going to be enough in a raddo right?

but obviously 270bhp is going to be enough in a raddo right?

If only :) most of us are on 190 stock!

I think the 1 in PVW is 1 of the mechanics at stealth and on the test was running 300bhp and more torque but he down tuned it from around 500bhp? apparently.

How about the R32 does anyone have a clue how reliable they are? HAs anyone had 20v turbo put in .. ? would be interensting to know what the difference is as far as handling goes?

I'd say the handling differences would be....

Slightly more nose heavy with the r32 obviously. This has pros and cons if you ask me.

I prefer the heavy/chunky feel of the vr corrado compared to something with 60 kg less under the bonet, and so would defo have the r32 lump.

But ultimately the lighter engine should give better handling.

IMO :)

phat has had one, albeit in a 4wd car. I also have one, again in a 4wd car, and also not on teh road yet!

Noticed qhat vr6 says he can't fit the rear anti roll bar because of 4wd is this still the case?

ok theres is two sides to this

perosnaly i would put in a R32 lump with cams and be a reliable 300bhp all day long once the remap is done but looking into it there alot of stuff needs to be changed to VR spec to be done right even thou you can get away with it

20v's when running right turbo will make 250-300bhp no probs all that will make it unrealiable is that if you thrash hell out of it and not look after it People forget your putting alot of stress on things running big boost levels

Also weight wise not really much in it whats 60kgs ? having ur girlfriend in the car or not? lol

perosnaly ill be fitting a 20v soon and i know i hate these lumps with a passion but ive been give a deal i cant say no to so going for it and see the out come :)

ok theres is two sides to this

perosnaly i would put in a R32 lump with cams and be a reliable 300bhp all day long once the remap is done but looking into it there alot of stuff needs to be changed to VR spec to be done right even thou you can get away with it

20v's when running right turbo will make 250-300bhp no probs all that will make it unrealiable is that if you thrash hell out of it and not look after it People forget your putting alot of stress on things running big boost levels

Also weight wise not really much in it whats 60kgs ? having ur girlfriend in the car or not? lol

perosnaly ill be fitting a 20v soon and i know i hate these lumps with a passion but ive been give a deal i cant say no to so going for it and see the out come :)

How do you mean a lot of stuff has to changed to vr spec to work properley? how reliable is a tuned r32 as i've heard that the 20 valve is more the more relaible out the two?

what im talkign about is the wide track to normal track on corrados

dont get me wrong still go in nicely ;) like RMN is doing but if you want it done properly i.e like factory you would have to change it all come down to the owner

i would say R32 is the most reliable out of the two running 300bhp

remember all you doing is cam's and mapping and that doesnt really kill a engine its like caming and rechip any motor

20v become unrelaible when people just dont look after them as they are going through extrem preassures so not letting it warm up or cool down and just general thrashing will kill any turbo engine quickly

I'm no expert but i'd imagine a R32 would be more reliable then (as aposegil says) the 20vT which is subject to considerable pressure etc.

I'd go R32.

aposegil - 60 kg is quite a bit actually. having me bird or not in the car makes loads of difference to performance and handling, and she's a skinny one! :) (not like me)

spoke to jbs autos .. say that they'll fit an r32 block in a corrado for 7k+vat with a factory level of finish don't know what they'd include for that though?

phat has had one, albeit in a 4wd car. I also have one, again in a 4wd car, and also not on teh road yet!

Noticed qhat vr6 says he can't fit the rear anti roll bar because of 4wd is this still the case?

no, I didn't fit the bar because I couldn't find it. and I'd made the exhaust up on the car.

When I eventually found it, I went to fit it, and I couldn't as I'd ran the exhaust too low and it was in the way, and I could't be arsed to change it as I knew it'd all be getting redone anyway so I left it off. the handling was "interesting".

R32!!

And in comparison to the quote above, I got a 24v engine fitted for less than £3k, including all the parts and engine!!

R32!!

And in comparison to the quote above, I got a 24v engine fitted for less than £3k, including all the parts and engine!!

Were's that from mate? JBS said that it was a lot because they fit it like its been fit the factory ie they have used all the relavant electrics

An R32 engine can handle up to 500bhp with standard internals with lowered compression. HGP do a twin turbo kit for the R32 golf giving this power which involves no internal engine modifications apart from lowering the compression to 8:5:1.

I doubt with just cams and a remap you would get 270bhp from the R32 lump... unless it's the very latest mark5 lump which has 250bhp as opposed to 237bhp on the mark 4. The R32 lump would be the more reliable out of the two but the turboed lump will be far more tunable as it has the turbo - although it would lack the character and sound of the V6!

spoke to jbs autos .. say that they'll fit an r32 block in a corrado for 7k+vat with a factory level of finish don't know what they'd include for that though?

Seems bl**dy expensive mate! Must be a totally brand new lump for that money!!

That is bloody expensive.

Coxxy was saying there is no difference in fitting an R32 that a 24v, Stan got his 24v supplied and fitted for 3k so the only extra for the R32 job is the more expensive engine.

I doubt with just cams and a remap you would get 270bhp from the R32 lump... unless it's the very latest mark5 lump which has 250bhp as opposed to 237bhp on the mark 4.

Well who knows, but what I will point out is that that the exact same 237bhp r32 engine came with 250bhp when it was fitted in the audi TT. All done to a map change and some marketing ethics, so 250bhp is the starting point. Actually I too think that 300bhp is a bit steep for a change of cams and a remap, but, The R32 can make the most of its cam change through its advanced electronics and VVT, so you never know.

I have an R32 with a set of schrick cams in it, and a remap, so when I get it running properly I will let you know what the score is.