Sign in to follow this  
_leon_

odd locking behaviour

Been through various searches but nothing has come up to match this same problem.

Last night the alarm goes off and after trying to reset it - i get error codes signalling the doors aren't closed/locked. This morning I've been out trying to find patterns and what might be causing it, what happens is:

1) Using the alarm fob, the car is amred, doors etc are locked via central locking.

2) The alarm signals the doors aren't locked/closed.

3) Alarm goes off!

4) Locking the doors manually via the key sets of central locking 50% of the time, the other 50% it just locks the related door.

So I've checked:

1) the pump, the actuators and the air lines - all ok

2) the fuses for any blown ones - nothing

3) wires for any broken leads or connectors - found the driver side door multi plug has a tiny amount of green/white corrosion that i've scraped away as much as I can.

Still have the problem and now not sure where to go... Are the fuse(s) related found within the main fuse box or anywhere else? I've checked the fuse thats on the drive side wireset - visually its fine. What do I need to do with a multimeter to check all is working?

Any help appreciated :)

4) Locking the doors manually via the key sets of central locking 50% of the time, the other 50% it just locks the related door.

Is this on both door or just one?? - If just the one then look at the switch wiring on that handle...

Yeah, I've had really weird C/L problems (including the fuel flap refusing to open ) and it turned out to be the handle.

It seems after some more looking - the passenger door doesnt set off the central locking - but the driver does. However I've noticed the driver side handle has the wiring disconnected and taped up - its always been like this and when I reconnect it - it immediately triggers the central locking. I think yourself Supercharged clarified this was a tired switch within the handle. Since its always been like this I'm assuming its safe to say that this is not the cause since it hasn't changed while I've owned the car! The alarm is from Sigma, but not sure what model it is. Its got the most annoying time out on the immobiliser though (i HATE it).

So, the passenger handle may be the cause... Are there any checks anybody can suggest to try and confirm this being the case before just buying a new handle in hope?

Thanks for the help :)

how does your alarm know door are open? is it just by the interior light/door switch? worth checking.

edit, the handel is unlikly to cause problems as it is a physical movment that locks the door, no switch etc. if the door locks then its something to do with the pump in the door or associated wires. remove both handels and lock with the 'zappa' you will be able to see the pumps pulling the lock down (they are connected to the lock with a metal rod (from the pump) to a plastic arm (on the lock - this can snap and is only 45p from VAG)

check boot light goes off or bonnet switch, disconnect it. usally bonnet switch but depends who wired it up as to which warnimg you get. blue for doors yellow for boot/bonnet, if wired the other way it would tell yyou wrong. i bet bonnet switch 7-4 favorite