Sign in to follow this  
iow_corrado_g60

putting petrol in diesel car

hi all my mum filled up her diesel mondeo with petrol last night and drove. garage has come and picked it up this morning. whats the likely outcome do you think!

i couldnt remember what was worse

petrol in a diesel

or diesel into a petrol car!

petrol in a diesel is worse AFAIK

My old boss did it to his 406 HDI and it was a total loss :?

if it was till running it will be fine,, if it doesnt its because the petrol has effectively hydrauliced (spl?) the engine.

Our works diesel van has been filled up with petrol twice now and it's still alive - mainly because the engine wasn't run with the wrong fuel...

This happened to my mum in her Golf, she filled it half up with petrol when she realised, so filled the rest up with diesel. Afterwards she said it was the longest lasting tank of fuel she ever had...... the car is still going strong on 180k :lol:

she got car sorted today all fine but dads sent it in for a service anyway! so we will see changed all filters etc! thanks for info guys! glad this one could be rectified!

yup, petrol in a diesel is a lot worsre.

Actually the worst scenario is DIESEL in to a PETROL.

Diesel is designed to burn when compressed (whereas petrol is not!), therefore needs a MUCH higher compression ratio - somewhere around 17 or 18.

It is quite possible to run a diesel using petrol, some military engines are designed to do such this and the perfect example is a guy I work with has a BMW 535 diesel that is the twin turbo, one little one big that was on top gear. He put a full tank of petrol in in and drove it from london to birmingham with no damage.

However diesel in a petrol engine will not burn as a simple spark is not enough to ignite it and the most likely outcome is it will block the injectors and worse.

I actually used to every now and again put £2 woth of petrol in my pug 406 HDI - it used to make it go like the clappers and would clean all the fuel system out!!!!!

This happened to my mum in her Golf, she filled it half up with petrol when she realised, so filled the rest up with diesel. Afterwards she said it was the longest lasting tank of fuel she ever had...... the car is still going strong on 180k :lol:

:shock: 180k? On one tank?! :shock:

:lol:

Hope everythings alright for mother.

:shock: 180k? On one tank?! :shock:

:lol:

Hope everythings alright for mother.

If only, diesels are more economical but thats just taking the p**s :lol:

petrol in a modern diesel is worse as the seals in the pumps can be knackeered by petrol. you were lucky with your pug 406 hdi they normally go down just by sniffing petrol

We have done it twice now to our A6,just needs tank drained and system flushed costs £160 a time plus new fuel.Not nice at all :lol: