Sign in to follow this  
red_baron

lumpy idle and acceleration

Greetings all... I bought a '94 VR6 with 105,000 on the clock a couple of weeks ago off a guy at work. Its been well looked after, but its not been used very much over the past year or so (probably less than 60 miles a week).

The only thing I've done so far is change the oil, air filter and plugs (NGK BKR5EKU ones - anyone around the Manchester area: Auto Discount in Atherton, £4.99 each!).

The engine is a bit lumpy however. At idle it is fairly bad and acceleration up to about 3,500 seems a bit restricted (lost a battle with a single-exhausted 3-series at the weekend :oops: )

I'm thinking maybe I should replace the fuel filter? I'm running it at the moment on normal unleaded - should it be fed super unleaded? Will this make a difference?

The lumpyness feels like its a fuel flow issue. At the weekend there was a bit of a smell of unburned petrol coming from the rear of the car - i suppose there could be a hole in the fuel line and its dragging air in? Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,

Ian

Yeah i'd recomend doing a fuel filter change. The the restricted acceleration sounds like the cam position sensor is on its way out. I suffer the same with mine (on the list). The part number for this is (W021 907 601 A) £40.73 including vat.

Yeah 15 mins. Its located in the head above the coilpack. U need to remove the top end cover (plug wire guilds) to get to it. Held in place by one 6mm (I think could be wrong) allen key bolt. If you do a search on here theres some better guilds as its a common problem on the VR.

It might be worth trying the fuel filter first, they're less than a tenner and urine easy to fit - they're also situated at the rear of the car.

take the car to someone with vagcom mate. we could all suggest any number of problems that could cause that, but who knows which one is right?

good luck :)

we could all suggest any number of problems that could cause that, but who knows which one is right?

And that can work out expensive when the parts are £40+ :lol:

Indeed! I brought a cam position sensor then lost it the next day! £40 down the pan .. working out at £80 for one bloody sensor

Definitely run it off Super, I think it even suggests that you should in the owners hand book (is it a sugested 95 or 97 RON octane rating minium or something?- think its says it on the sticker on the inside of the filler cap too)

I've certainly noticed a difference with either Optimax or BP Ultimate.

I'd be interested to know what caused the lumpiness as mine doesn't get used a huge amount and has become a little lumpy on idle too.

Anyone know a (cheap) place in or around Manchester that I could take it to get checkeout with the VAG-Com?

Must say I'm tempted to just go and buy a CPS anyway... I only paid £500 for the car so have a bit left over for a bit of trial-and-erroring... plus I'm a bit impatient!

we could all suggest any number of problems that could cause that, but who knows which one is right?

And that can work out expensive when the parts are £40+ :lol:

exactamondo! :)

been there. done that. :(

Yep, me too, it's hard to diagnose a car from reading a few lines on here, sometimes the wrong diagnosis can be expensive :lol:

I get the feeling that you guys are trying to say GET IT CHECKED OUT FIRST!!!! :wink:

I might have a look at the senser this evening for any obvious signs of damage etc... plus I may as well check the MAF as well... if I EVER get away from work that is!!! :x

Yep, me too, it's hard to diagnose a car from reading a few lines on here, sometimes the wrong diagnosis can be expensive :lol:

definately. there can be so many different faults that throw up the same symptoms.

a couple of times i've assumed i have the same problem as someone else as we have exactly the same symptoms, only to find its something totally different.

my battery, starter motor, ignition switch spending spree springs to mind. you live and learn eh? ;)

yeah... £500. Bought it off a director at work. I think he felt sorry for me as... and I have to admit this... I owned a FIAT. There... I've said it now. My rather-more-unreliable-than-usual FIAT needed to go and I made him an offer for his C... £500 later I've got a much more relaible and desirable car! He wanted it to go to a good home before he got his company car and here we are! :D

I'm stunned, I have to say! Congratulations on that fine purchase. I'm surprised nobody else mentioned the price before me to be honest.

Right... things have changed somewhat since yesterday.

First of all, there are now clouds of steam coming from the top of the radiator :( . The water temperature is up at 110 degrees almost all the time once I've driven for about 15 mintues or so. The oil temperature is a steady 112-114 degrees... the fan kicks in to try and sort things out. At this high temperature, power is down quite considerably.

Am I just looking on the dark side but could I have cylinder head issues?

haven't got a clue tbh mate.

but don't worry if it is as i have a lovely rebuilt had you can have for very reasonable money! ;)

good luck fella

Just been to have a chat with my local friendly mechanic (we are on extremely good terms due to the fact that I'm an ex-FIAT owner!) and from the symptoms I have mentioned he thinks its definately a head gasket issue...

I'll find out a bit later whether he's confident to do it and how much it will cost me, but he has indicated it could be £500, including a top-end rebuild as well if I want it...

The car had one head gasket replaced by VW in 2001 (according to the receipts I got with it)... has anyone else had similar problems?

500 quid for a top end rebuild fitted is an absolute bargain if the bloke knows what he's doing mate.

well, depending on what it includes....