Sign in to follow this  
VRTrickster

Plastic VR6 Rocker Cover

Im going to be fitting a plastic rocker cover to my rado when I carry out the mods listed in sig. I was just wondering if I would need anything else apart from a different gasket?

Im fitting one of these as it reduces heat and deadens valve train noise slightly!

Anyone fitted one?

the bolts are different to the later metal ones VRTrickster. I went the other way, plastic to polished metal, and had to buy a whole 8 new bolts which cost nearly £30 from the dealers!

iow_corrado_g60, early VR's all had plastic rockercovers.

I dont suppose youve got the old bolts?

I wonder why they changed them to alloy maybe they kept cracking,or melting away!! lol :lol:

The rocker cover on now seems to have studs and nuts?

nah mate i dont, i had to put the plastic one back on in the end since I took the polished one off and sold it when the car was written off :(

chrishill, only the late VR's got plastic ones?

The plastic ones are held on by nuts as the top of the cylinder head is studed, to fit a plastic one you simply remove the studs, the new cover comes with captive bolts...

Yeah the placky one has bolts instead of studs and nuts. Just use two 10mm nuts to remove the studs from the head.

The plastic rocker cover is less than half the weight of the alloy one and a much more inert material in terms of sound absorbency.

Ok just ended up buying some bolts from VW! They cost £28.11 inc ,and the gasket

for a tenner. Quite pricey but I need to get my bits together to carry out the mods before Santa on the 9th July!

All I need know is the cams,tappets,injector seals, gaskets etc.

The plastic covers are fitted to the late 98 VRs!

I have a plastic one on mine.

can you still get these from VW/GSF? (mine was cracked by a 'helpful VW mechanic')

cheers,

*unhelpful and expensive idiot

How much did it cost from GSF mate?

And does anyone know if they would be the same torque settings as the nuts and studs with the alloy cover?