Sign in to follow this  
Dub_nut_g60

Another year - another MOT failure!

cheers Phil...

am sure we'll get it sorted out...

we have 4 dubs between us....... and 3 of them now have no MOT and need work to pass it.... happy happy joy joy..... :roll:

now I remember why I swore I wouldnt buy older cars.... pfft.... :(

Just chatting to my mum and sister and said that a few guys here thought my failure was quite impressive! and got the 'its not funny' from my sister (shes 16!!!) but hell i didnt laugh about it i think i could cry!! isnt really a problem as most of the stuff the picked up is being replaced/sorted soon anyway!

and also got told that the guy at the garage told them that the brake discs cracked due to the car being lowered by the 'idiot' last owner and they had rubbed on the arches??? WTF??? does this sound a strange comment to anyone? maybe it could be down the suspension being knackered and the whole thing flexing and causing the rubbing?

Happy birthday by the way scarlett

Aye, happy birfday Laura,

Dubnut mate, If the brakedisks were rubbing on the arches then the sump would have been a foot under the tarmac, ????? They will trying to sell you a left handed spanner and a tin of tartan paint soon.

Might be worth a second opinion.

Oh and if anyone happens to be going up the m40 and stops in at cherwell valley services, there is a huge section round the back where the trucks stop which works as a pretty cool racetrack with a chicaine and a cambered corner, for a bit of impromptue release from motorway driving. :)

Dubnut mate, If the brakedisks were rubbing on the arches then the sump would have been a foot under the tarmac, ????? They will trying to sell you a left handed spanner and a tin of tartan paint soon.

Might be worth a second opinion.

Oh and if anyone happens to be going up the m40 and stops in at cherwell valley services, there is a huge section round the back where the trucks stop which works as a pretty cool racetrack with a chicaine and a cambered corner, for a bit of impromptue release from motorway driving. :)

PMSL

Really didnt think it was right, think my sister have got confused with my wheels rubbing! which yes is due to it being lowered!!!

only use the garage as the owner is a mate of my dad so i get really moaned at for not using them (dads not too impressed im getting G-werks to work on it!!) may look for a C friendly gagare around!!

Cherwell services was pretty good!!! shame my motor wasnt handelling properly at the time!

On the plus side - you're not going to believe how well it drives after you've had all that work done on it 8)

Well. If it is a family issue to use a particular grease monkey (no offense intended). Id point out that the garage didn't spot these potentially life threatening problems before the MOT so cant be that much cop, and what would be more important a bit of family loyalty or a damaged and skint son?

no offence taken!! ive never been a fan of the place TBH, always seem quite pricey considering the link my dad has with the guy!!! gotta admit the body shop they use did a very good job repairing my MK2!

The folks dont seem to understand that id rather have someone with intricate knowledge of the cars work on it!! need to make my own contacts too!!! and besides as far as the charger is concerned its not a case of any garage will do it!!!

In fairness most of the problems have been recent, brakes wear etc.. and the suspension only gave up a couple of weeks ago!

i have to admit - if someone told me that fable i'd make sure it was well known they were talking utter cr@p and take my car elsewhere. Nothing worse than a cheating mechanic. Unfortunately they are everywhere. Best thing to do I find is to spout off a lot of technical stuff when you take your car in to instantly make them realise you know a lot more than the average punter and fairy tale stories like above will NOT work on you.

Good luck buddy

That is faily impressive Dub_nut_g60, Should have some kind of hard luck award at the end of the year. Winner gets 50p off each member.

Just picked the car up from G-Werks, and what can i say, WOW!

Awesome job Darren!

She now handles and doesnt throw a tantrum round the corners!!! and she stops!!!

had all the braking system replaced, discs, pads, fluid!

Weitec Hicon TX Plus adustable coilovers fitted along with top mounts etc...

She had best part of £1,200 spent on her! well worth it! should sail through the MOT tomorrow!

Just got back from the MOT, shes passed!! hopefully ill never an MOT quiite that expensive again!!

One wierd thig was that the hanbrake was less effective now than it was last time when the pads were very worn and the brakes were just rubbish!!

shes sounding alot better now that the 3 exhaust blows have been fixed! no need for music anymore!

Gotta say a huge thanks to Darren again!

Well another 12 months on...and shes failed again, nothing too horrific this time though:

1. Nearside front front position lamp(s) not in good working order (not working)

2. Nearside front headlamp not working on dipped beam

3. Nearside front headlamp not working on main beam

4. Nearside headlamp insecure

5. Nearside front brake hose excessively deteriorated

6. Offside from brake binding

7. Nearside rear parking brake recording little or no effort

8. Nearside rear parking brake recording little or no effort

9. Parking brake efficiency below requirments

Headlight i think its just case if the plug has come loose or something and hand brake neads the cables replacing and probabaly new calipers as the handbrake mechs are stuck

Oh dear andy... that's a bit of a bugger.

Well, I suppose the rear brakes were fairly expected, Don't understand the issue with the front caliper binding though, but I suppose that could be related to your brakes not being too efficient when you brought it round.

Do you want me to get that headlamp off for you?

I'm in chichester for most of the weekend at a wedding, but I'll weasel it off on sunday if you like?

im fairly busy this weekend too, so perhaps if your free next saturday you could pop down to give me a hand putting 2 new rear callipers and front brake hose on?

Guy who did the MOT said to take the front caliper off and move the piston in and out by hand should sort it out.

Ill se how i get on securing the headlight as it may just need a bit the good old greek godess of repair (Alradite) to fix the attachment clip. I sorted the 'light not working points by plugging them back in!