Sign in to follow this  
Dr Forinor

Trailing arm

Hey guys, I was just wondering, is the trailing arm a part of the rear axle or is it seperate? Ie, can I replace a trailing arm and leave the axle in place?

Hey guys, I was just wondering, is the trailing arm a part of the rear axle or is it seperate? Ie, can I replace a trailing arm and leave the axle in place?

do you mean stub axle, no.6 in diagram?

davidwort: Kev is correct in that I have already replaced the stub axle, it is the arm that I am talking about.

Can you tell me how I can get a hold of the software that you have? I assume this is EKTA?

The reason why I'd rather change the whole axle (and not have washers etc like you suggested Kev) is 'cos I'd rather everything be done properly than just a "repair", but thanks for the advice.

When I change the rear axle, is it advisable to change the other stub axle aswell? Or if it has not been damaged in any way, will it be fine leaving it as is?

Does anyone know how good(/bad?) the stub axle from GSF is? I saved quite a bit buying it from GSF than from VW, should I have stuck with VW for this part?

Parts that I call 'heavy metal', such as stubs, bearings, ball joints, tie rods etc etc should always be bought from VW. GSF parts use a cheaper metal and don't last anything like as long as VW metal. You pay more up front, sure, but less in the long run. You only need to replace the stub axle that got clouted mate, the other one should be fine.

A whole new trailing arm/torsion beam assembly is around £500ish I think, ask Dinkus, he had to buy one!

You could always put this through your insurance though, providing your excess isn't too high? It's perfectly plausible that a kerb can cause expensive damage, as I say, a mate's 205 got written off after hitting a kerb, LOL! Thankfully VWs are made of sterner stuff.

hello Dr Forinor, chris p on here has a complete vr6 rear axle assembly and it looks ok, the only problem being he is down the south of england, that said, i`m going to be in edinburgh and glasgow in a week or so`s time.......if you want it i can bring it up to scotland and you can collect from me ( i`ll be up there for 2 - 3 days )

EDIT - i`ve just pm`d chris p to see if he still has it

Dont want to go through the insurance kev, esp since I dont have protected NCB and I wanna build it up, and I think my excess is around £400ish...

Yes it does cost around that much for the rear axle, but I will be getting the one that Dinkus replaced, which, as far as he knows, is fine and in good condition, AND cheaper, lol. The only matter is getting it up to me.

Lol, I wish I had asked you sooner about the stub axle mate, no worries, when I have a bit of extra cash, shall replace the GSF stub axle with the VW part instead.

gaz the geezer: Thanks a lot for the offer mate, appreciated, but as I mentioned, Dinkus and I already have an agreement.

If Chris' axle is cheaper/easier to get hold of then go for that instead - I won't be offended :)

I wouldn't go replacing the new stub axle just for the sake of it, but if it does need replacing in the future, stick a VAG one on then.

Ah cool - I'm not really on the way for you, but if needs be it could be useful.

I need to weigh the bugger - if it's 25kg or less then I can send it for about £30, but if it's heavier (as I suspect it probably is) then it gets mighty expensive to send.

I heard my name mentioned, and without wanting to step on anyone's toes at all, I have an axle that is totally complete, ABS sensors, handbrake cables, stubs, calipers, discs, the lot.

If this is more appealing (and like I say, not trying to step on any toes) then let me know