JMC

Passat W8 interior light conversion

Have heard from a couple of places now about the interior light conversion which I though was from a Phaeton but Gradea's corrected me that it's a Passat W8 light, but can't find any pictures anywhere. Can anyone shed any light on what this is, and what's involved in doing it??

Errr, you can fit the Passat W8 lights panel which has the red downlighters, but it needs a bit of fettling as it's deeper than the standard panel... :)

Ooooh, maybe it's that one, but I could have sworn it was Phaeton. Knew that if I asked about it someone would put me straight - cheers Dave.

Did you have a good evening at the Phirm yesteday?? Impressive selection of cars they have there..

Well, good for them! seeing as i seem to be constantly throwing credit cards in their direction - and it's not even for the C!

44_1_b.JPG

That what you're looking for?

Good man.... Might have to have a think about this one - it would complement the red lit interior quite nicely though.

Anyone got any pics of these with the red light on?

I wanna be a PIMP too (gotta feed the rado habbit somehow!) :lol:

Edit: Nevermind!

w8gesamt.jpg

Anyone got any pics of these with the red light on?

I wanna be a PIMP too (gotta feed the rado habbit somehow!) :lol:

Edit: Nevermind!

w8gesamt.jpg

If it's anything like my dad's A6 then you don't really notice the red light much at all, only when you reach for things on the dash and it makes you glow :)

I like the look of that alot. Think I've just found my next project for the evenings :D

I've only been able to find information on these without the sunroof controls. Don't suppose anybody knows if a version of these come with a sunroof option that can be fitted to the Corrado. Any advice (and EKTA part numbers, hint, hint) would be most welcome...

After having some info from randal (thanks for that) I've gone and bought a W8 light, and plug's/connectors needed from VW. Found a supplier in Germany on EBay, but it was only a couple of pounds cheaper than from here. There will be a bit of cutting and filling needed to make it fit, but fingers crossed, should be fun. Hopefully pictures to follow before too long.

If anyones interested there are a few links out there about how to fit these into a Mk4 Golf and the like, and the part numbers are:

W8 interior light 3B7947105F2EN

Plug 3B0972706

Wires (for the connectors for the plug) 000979131A (2 off)

Came to about £35 in total.

I'll take a few pictures of the whole process Stan, and report back on here how it's progressing. Probably wont include all the shouting and swearing that will go on though :lol: :lol:

Update - having taken the plastic trim from the exisiting light down to have a look at the space, the phrase "quart into a pint pot" springs to mind. I think in order to try and shoe horn this light in there, it's time to get a spare piece of trim to cut to size. Going to be a fun one this...

hehe, I was wondering how you were planning on fitting it in there :)

gl mate, keep us posted

Cutting, shoving, swearing, spacers, and retrimming the finished article will be the order of the day.

There 'looks' to be just about enough room, but the plastic trim it sits in will need modifying a but to make it fit. If that doesn't work, I'll make a new trim and lower the light down by about 10mm, which 'should' give it enough space. Fingers crossed...

It's official - You can fit a quart into a pint pot :shock: :o :D After picking up a second plastic surround (to hack around) I've fitted the Passat W8 light into the original Corrado location. All I have to do now is figure out the wiring :roll: :roll:

It could also do with a little bit of cosmetic tidying, but heh, something to do next week...

When I've figures out the wiring gaz I'll put together what I've got into a "how to". It required quite extensive hacking of the plastic trim, so it's a bit of a 'no going back' type of mod.