Sign in to follow this  
Dec

Dec's 1.8 16v Turbo project!

Looks similar alright! Found a pic of mine from a while back

P1000019.jpg

Mine has two take-offs for the clocks and ECU on the manifold side of the valve. Wonder how much of a benefit it is to move it down closer to the manifold itself?

They aren't actually BBS wheels. They were a limited edition wheel called A-rays from a company called P-A racing. I re-badged them with vw badges though. Got them as they clear the Brembos and are reasonably light.

I have the same wheels on my C and have been meaning to get VW badges for the centres, they look so much better in your pics.

Not all that much progress I'm afraid :(

Spent all my spare time stripping that Black valver I bought, so I have 'emergency' spare parts if anything goes wrong with this one down the line!

Everything else I need to finish (stainless steel for downpipe, pile of silicone bits, wideband O2, Megaview II etc) is currently in the post to me now! Bit the bullet and stuck the last £500 of parts on the Visa card!

It's weird, I was actually relieved when I "only" had £500, left to spend on the major parts! Remind me NEVER to add up how much all this work cost :shock: :lol:

Not all that much progress I'm afraid :(

Spent all my spare time stripping that Black valver I bought, so I have 'emergency' spare parts if anything goes wrong with this one down the line!

Everything else I need to finish (stainless steel for downpipe, pile of silicone bits, wideband O2, Megaview II etc) is currently in the post to me now! Bit the bullet and stuck the last £500 of parts on the Visa card!

It's weird, I was actually relieved when I "only" had £500, left to spend on the major parts! Remind me NEVER to add up how much all this work cost :shock: :lol:

Thought you might be busy with that valver!

So it's the home stretch now then? What is left to do? Which wideband did you go for?

Went for the Innovate LC-1 wideband in the end. Ordered it from the US, as the exchange rate makes things nice and cheap there at the moment! Was Very tempted to splash out on this! LCDash Digital Touchscreen dash...it's 8) 8) 8)

Left to do:

1) Stick together the last few silicone joins on the pipe work, once they arrive in the post.

2) Finish off 'modifying' the sump! The oil drain flange is in it...but it is refusing to go back on the car with the new windage tray fitted :?

3) Mock up the downpipe with the ss pipe I've ordered, and get it welded together

4) Drill and tap the inlet manifold for vacuum lines and brake servo pipe etc

5) Refit new busings, disks, pads, brake lines, bearings etc, to the powder coated rear beam I bough a while back and get it fitted

6) Fit the Megaview kit into the dash. Not exactly crucial though!

No more than a few days work (fingers crossed), once all the parts show up! 8)

Went for the LC-1 myself too. Looks like a good bit of kit.

With the Megaview will you be able to see the AFR output from the LC-1? Would be good if you could...

So, you're nearly there then!! Good work. Are you welding your own downpipe or you getting someone else to do it?

Yeah the Megaview will show the AFR when used with a MSII apparently!

I wouldn't be confident enough in my welding 'skills' to weld the exhasut myself. So I'll cut everything to shape myself and then have to resort to finding someone to weld it together for me!

Yeah the Megaview will show the AFR when used with a MSII apparently!

I wouldn't be confident enough in my welding 'skills' to weld the exhasut myself. So I'll cut everything to shape myself and then have to resort to finding someone to weld it together for me!

How much was the Megaview? I wouldn't mind that for mine, given that it shows AFR. Wounder if it does EGT as well?

I've been speaking to CrazyDave about MS and I think I need to get the MS-II processor, as it seems soo much better and apparently not a lot of money.

Yeah the MSII processor seems to give a lot of benefits alright! simple plug in upgrade too!

Apparently the Megaview will only show AFR when used with MSII aswell! I got my Megaview II kit for $135 (£65) from diyautotune, while ordering the lambda!

Yeah the MSII processor seems to give a lot of benefits alright! simple plug in upgrade too!

Apparently the Megaview will only show AFR when used with MSII aswell! I got my Megaview II kit for $135 (£65) from diyautotune, while ordering the lambda!

Now, you've done it; something else to go on the shopping list!!

Just don't look at that touchscreen digital dash they do too!.....one of them has been added to my 'medium term' shopping list :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just don't look at that touchscreen digital dash they do too!.....

Aaaaand, I'm spent :lol:

Oooooooh flashing lights and displays and stuff.....that's great....might think about doing my own.....colour display maybe....

With the short evenings now, I get even less chance to get down to the garage to do much meaningful work on the car. So I gave myself a little indoor project to do to keep me busy.

Decided to mount the Megaview II kit into the old ashtray!

Megaview kit, I assembled it slightly differently, so the screen could be moved off the main pcb.

P1020613.jpg

"Slightly" modified ashtray to house the unit and screen, compared to an orig ashtray.

P1020609.jpg

P1020607.jpg

Unit test fitted in the centre console.

P1020615.jpg

I cut a clear plastic 'window' (made out of an old clear plastic Christmas tree) to fit the rectangular hole, and mounted 4 buttons to control the display and for tinkering with the engine parameters in real-time

P1020621.jpg

Buttons de-blinged with a few coats of primer and some black spray paint.

P1020629.jpg

I need to take it down to the car to hook it up to 12v and into the ECu to get it to function. But here's basically what the 'prototype' version looked like. This was with my first test cut of the plastic screen, and without the buttons mounted though.

P1020584-1.jpg

Not a great photo, but you get the idea. Should be reasonably subtle in the dash. :)

Good work dude! I'm liking that a lot 8)

What are the buttons for? Are just they to control the MegaView?

One button pauses the dispay as it scrolls through all the engine parameters.

It can be switched to a configuration mode which allows you to modify any of the ecu configuration variables, bar actually changing the spark / fuel tables themselves.

:notworthy:

that looks brilliant! how far are you off getting it complete? my innovate wideband turned up last week so i have all the bits i need for mine.canny wait!

i tried a similar thing with my ashtray but when i cut into it it cracked, also made the nastiest smell

Cheers! Yeah, the smell and dust off the ashtray plastic when you are cutting it is absolutely disgusting!

I'm just getting the exhaust downpipe sorted at the moment. I've carefully cut sections of s/s pipe out to fit down through the gap between the block and the firewall. I'm just trying to find somewhere to weld it together for me now!

The lease is up on my garage at the end of the month, so the car will be brought the mile up the road to my house to sit on the driveway. It's a good thing really, because seeing the car sitting there will give me a bit more of an incentive to get up off my arse and work on it. Also the lack of electricity in the garage is really becoming a pain at this stage!

With bad weather, Christmas and holidays etc it's nearly three months since I last did any work at all on the car! :shock: Figured it was nice weather this weekend to I got stuck into getting a bit of work on the back of the car done!

Replacement rear beam, with new axle bushings Prothane polyurethane inserts, new disks and bearings fitted.

P1020909.jpg

Suspension and brakes removed

P1020927.jpg

Dusty old beam

P1020928.jpg

Dusty old beam removed

P1020931.jpg

Fitting the poly inserts into the standard axle bushings

P1020514.jpg

Shiny new beam fitted along with a set of 4 new flexi brake lines.

P1020932.jpg

P1020933.jpg

P1020937.jpg

I am NEVER going to fit another set of these bushings, EVER! :mad:

P1020934.jpg

New Prothane polyurethane upper and lower top-mounts fitted to the rear shocks while I was at it

P1020938.jpg

And back on four wheels

P1020939.jpg

Had to destroy one of the metal brake lines to remove it. So need to get another one of them made up. I'm going to give the calipers a quick clean-up before I fit them too.

Also need buy a caliper windback tool to get the new pads fitted. :roll: