Sign in to follow this  
Shaggy

Ford Focus ST

There is nowt wrong with the scoobys image IMO, and Ford could do with a bit of what Subaru put on their cornflakes anyway.

But VW seem to think they are punching above their weight when it comes to pricing, they have tried to set themselves between Ford and Audi pricewise.

The market seems to stand for it and pay the inflated costs, and as a result the cars seem to be regarded as better.

However im sure if I had the money I would go for a new mk5 over a civic or ST because I believe in the brand and that is important to me. It may be that Im lacking in common sense but Id rather a car I could look at and be proud of rather than just something which might be technically brilliant or outlandish to look at.

Society is strange. In the world of cars, your average punter pushes for ever-better construction quality. Heavier cars, more power, more reliability.

And yet in all other consumer goods, the average punter just wants it *cheap*, which manufacturers have responded to by making DVD players that work for ten minutes but are so cheap they're disposable, by selling washing machines that don't last, and so on ..

A ford Focus ST is probably just as, if not MORE reliable than any VW shipped in the last ten years, yet people still have this idea that VWs are more reliable.. time after time surveys have proved they aren't, but society is slow to catch on to stuff like this, it seems ..

The whole reliability issue is a false one to me. The manufacturers seem to be more interested in offering no quibble complete arse kissing waranties with the cars so WHEN they do break down (and they will from time to time) the customer can be dazzled by the sheer brilliance of the customer service which in turn might keep them loyal to the brand.

But what you say is true dr_mat, the old image of Ford standing for fix or repair daily is long gone. Cheap or free is what the punter wants, so bunging in a free warantee **sp goes some way to sealing the deal. I mean what other reason would there be to buy a new kia?

But VW seem to think they are punching above their weight when it comes to pricing, they have tried to set themselves between Ford and Audi pricewise.

The market seems to stand for it and pay the inflated costs, and as a result the cars seem to be regarded as better.

Only in this country. Everything is more expensive in the UK as our government seemingly do nothing to promote fair trade. For example....Play Station 2 - Sony announced a £20 price reduction in the US leading up to the launch of the PS3. UK? No chance. And we will also pay a lot more for the PS3 aswell.

And also (back to cars again), VW know Brits are badge whores, so can charge what they like knowing they will sell. Only in the UK was there a MK4 GTI with a lacklustre 2.0 8V engine in it, and they still sold in droves, despite the terrible reviews it received. VW's point well proven there I think and a sign their marketing department are doing a good job.

Despite it's cost, it is a very good car. At the end of the day, only simpletons walk into a dealer and pay full whack (for a private purchase) anyway. The more shrewd buyers go to motorpoint and get £2K+ off the list price.

The ST is the peoples' champion, aimed squarely at Astra VXR and Civic TR buyers and hoping to pull customers away from the Golf. Unfortunately for the Focus, the Golf is just that bit more polished in the handling, looks and build qaulity. And bear in mind the ST1 is not particularly well spec'd, hence it's cost...and it uses an old, heavy engine. The FSI unit is all new, well, the head and entire fuel/ignition management system are, and the turbo is lag free, even when chipped. The ST is quite laggy by all accounts, but very characterful. Sounds lovely on full chat.

So what about the base level 1 series Bimmer and Audi A3? Both are hideously over priced, but people still buy them here because of the perceived prestige....but who wants to be seen in a poverty spec BMW or Audi...having paid through the nose for the privilige?

However im sure if I had the money I would go for a new mk5 over a civic or ST because I believe in the brand and that is important to me.

Well said. That is part of being an enthusiast of your chosen marque, not being one dimensional and writing off a new model based on it's price before even driving one.

I initially thought that the MK5 GTi was over-priced and to some extent still do. The build quality of the MK5 is not as good as the MK4 but as an overall package I think its the best in its class and is certainly the car I'd choose to buy.

What does concern me is where VW is going to take the MK6, its development is being rushed through because the profitability of the MK5 is so dire, VW has gone so far as saying that if it continues to build cars with such slim profit margins it will not survive.

We all know what happened to Mercedes when they went down a similar route in order to cut costs - I just hope that VW does not make the same mistake.

Apparently there is already talk of the US market Jetta going back to torsion beam rear suspension for the MK6 variant to save money and because "the average US buyer will not notice any difference"

This is a very close call between the ST and the GTI and despite loving my VR I really have no preference towards VW, Im sure that technically, and on a track, the ST would beat a GTI although not by that much. I have read just about every review for these cars and seems to be the Golf is criticised for not having a very characterful engine whereas the ST chassis is not quite as composed as the GTI. The ST is quite a bit lighter tho and more powerful, I think there is already a stage 1 kit with 285bhp and reviewers have said it is really rapid in that form.

I definitley wouldn't buy a VXR tho, for a number of reasons, the ST seems to be a success so far, where as the GTI & VXR have sold in much smaller numbers. :wink:

It's also worth thinking about residual value - unlike the RS focus, I can see the ST not being quite so good as the Golf. No need to even mention the Civic!

According to auto express a few months back, the ST will hold its residual better than the Golf.

Personally I think the new Golf still looks a bit bland :( Bring on the new Scirocco/Corrado 8)

The ST is accounting for 6% of total Focus sales, the GTi is accounting for 8% of Golf sales, the VXR is way behind at 2.5% of Astra sales. I'd be extremely surprised if the ST holds it value better than than the GTi, from the figures I've seen based on Contract Hire rates, its looking like the finance houses are looking at a GTi holding on to approx 50-55% of its value over 3 years / 45k miles. If I was buying a car with my own money I'd sink it into a GTi rather than an ST. Customers need to start looking at whole life costs, when they do VW's initial price premium starts to become a non-issue.

Youve just proved why an ST will hold its value better!!!!!

IT SELLS LESS THAN A GTI!

Any car that is not as common/popular will hold residual value better, hence the Corrado.

If the Corrado was sold as much as a Mk3 Golf, it'd be worth peanuts, and wouldnt have the following (us) that it does!

I think the Focus is a great car, so to the Golf. But I also think the ST will be a better bet in the long run, financially anyway.

Oh, and when they bring out the 300+ BHP Focus RS.......................

Has it even been confirmed they are making a new RS? Im not sure where you got your figures but I definitley read in this weeks auto express that the ST is selling better than the VXR or GTI as a percentage of total sales. Apparently the new type r is having the same 200bhp engine or atleast a 200bhp engine, think they should of put the s2000 engine in tho, nice to see a n/a hot hatch aswell.

I cannot believe for a second that the ST will have better residuals...the RS has excellent residuals but they were limited edition and IMO look loads better than the ST.

In a way, the fact that the Golf is more expensive than the Focus means that in a few years time, the focus is more likely to fall into the hands of the chav brigade! I'm surrounded by them at the gym I go to, and to them, the GTI is not an option...thank god!

Even if the GTI and ST residuals are the same, it just means that although you paid more money for the Golf, you'll get more money back when you sell it. Fair enough to me.

Jeezus, listen to yourselves!

Get over it! This is the Corrado forum. It's full of people who believe VW are gods. You're never going to get an unbiased response round here ... :)

And as for predicting residuals on cars that are barely six months old, that's madness. No-one ever bought one car in preference to another in the sports hatch market because of how much it's likely to be worth in three years time .....

And anyway, they're all just sports hatches. We're english dammit, we want a COUPE!! :)

not a fan of these not sure why they have to be so curvey, cant be as bad as the old one which looked as thou the interior had been designded by a 4 year old with a compass.

I am not a huge fan of most modern cars they just look like eggs on there sides, all care look the same nowadays, I would much rather have some old school fun.