Sign in to follow this  
adamukcorrado

changing inner cv joints on a vr6

both of my inner cv joints are now knocking so something needs to be done!!! as usual it's not a convenient time to give car to garage, so was half considering doing it myself,

whats involved and are any special tools needed?

any advice would be apreciated.

I tried to remove the inner CV joint when changing the outer and couldn't get the hub carrier off the drive shaft. Wasn't that easy, in fact I failed. You need a torx bit, but the closest one I could get to fit (bought a metric set specially) just slipped when presure was used! So it's either a special size or you need top quality tools!

If you can shift these bolts then it's pretty much easy, just a bit messy.

You will need very long bar to get the required force to shift them or a pnuematic tool as I found out yesterday too.

Luckily my VAG mechanic mate poped by with the required otherwise there's no way I would've been able to shift that nut!

Dutch

Sounds like the kind of job i could suggle with for a day, where my mechanic could do easily, The cars going in for a big brake conversion in a few weeks, so will have the whole lot done at the same time..

Dutch, how did engine conversion go??

It hasn't yet :(

...should be starting next week though :)

I will start a thread soon. I see your head replacement hasn't been 100% successfull? Did you use VAG tappets?

Dutch

yeah every thing i used was vag (including tappets at £20 each!!!), it runs beautifully and sounds great with the 6-2-1 manifold but as soon as the engine gets hot it goes tappetty, so i'm guessing the oil pump is getting tired, the money i've spent now is starting to get beyond a joke!!

big brakes and a respray this summer tho...... :D