Sign in to follow this  
cliveyp

Are they really that expensive.......

I've read a few posts that have scared me a bit today. Within about 10 mins i've read a couple of posts saying "save up" and "i would have one if money was no object", are Corrado VR6's really that expensive to keep?? I've had 8V MK2 GTI's in the past, and admittedly the last one hardly cost me anything, but i'm not against throwing money at a car. Would i perhaps be better off with a MK3 Highline?? :? :cry:

I think you need to buy carefully and ideally look for history of the car.

There are a lot of posts talking about VW service histories and how important they are and then there are other saying how people service their car far more often than VW recommend.

One recently was a forum member who felt the car benefitted from having new plugs every 5K when the interval was more lik 20-30K. THats fair enough if it makes a difference but I wouldn't be spending £50 ish quid on plugs every few months when it might only need them every 2 years.

The Vr6 is a great car but can be expensive (fuel and tyres and brakes) purely because of the way they are driven a lot of the time.

THe expense is definetly worth it but how much expense depends on if you want to sort the problems or throw money at anything.

just my 2p by the way!

Cheers

Paul

p.s. get a cracker and you wont regret it!

I would second the above. I spend what I consider to be a small fortune on my VR6. I'm not sure that I've been terribly unlucky, compared to some stories you see on here, but I'm spending upwards of £1000 a year maintaining this car. I have to pay garages to do everything too, which means it costs me more than some people on here, but it's still worth it, when it's all going well... :)

When it's not you get an almighty sinking feeling in your stomach, wondering just how much it's going to cost this time.... :(

If you buy the most excellent VAG-COM, you can do all the engine and brake diagnosis work yourself and just order the parts accordingly.

I'd say a good 80% of all common corrado faults can be rectified by any competent DIY mechanic.

The VR6 is a little more tricky due to the timing chains (gearbox off job) and the lack of space in under the bonnet but a little patience and tenacity pays off.

Here on the forum, we have amassed a vast pool of data, common faults, hints and tips, recommendations etc etc. So there is no need to be afraid of buying a Corrado VR6, or ANY corrado because we're here to help and the Corrado is just a big pussy cat under those aggressive lines.

Did you know the humble Ford Galaxy V6 shares many of the ancilleries and mechanicals as the Corrado/Golf VR6? And Ford being Ford, the parts will invaribly be cheaper.

The key to successful Corrado ownership without filing for section 21 receivership, is knowing where to look for parts and who to speak to about fitting them. You've done the first step and found THE Corrado forum.....now go and buy that VR6 :p

Kev

Coming from someone that posted the "save up" comment, I thought I'd add a few pence to the pot......

I've just read your wanted ad' and have to say that if you're looking at a VR for around £6k, and know what to look out for then you shouldn't have too many problems!

Things can be expensive when they go wrong and they can also be just plain irritating ie door handles, sunroof, spoiler motor, headlight switch. Most of them can be avoided as well though which is why buying a C from someone that's cared for the car is one of the most important things.

Once you get one, you won't look back!

just to add in the first 2 years i didnt spend hardly anything on my car,apart from oil,filters ect..the most expensive single thing i bought was a rear heated windscreen switch, only in the last 6 months ive started spending but that was my choice,things like wheels,suspension etc

I've only replaced things on my car to satisfy my pursuit for perfection, so strictly speaking, many of the things I've done weren't strictly necessary. The car is better for it though.

The only essential job I've had to do on it was to change a jammed thermostat.

To sum up the Corrado VR6 I'd say, Engine and Chassis are Peaches, trim and ancilleries are total lemons.

Kev

I don't quite share your hatred of the C interior Kev.

I think it's pretty well put together and as far as driving position goes, I think it's superb. Everything within easy reach and plenty of comforts.

I have a few niggles though such as the window switches not sitting flush with the trim. Headlight switches breaking (not mine yet though - touch wood!).

I just think in general that the interior is a nice place to be! :)

I always liked the Corrado interior. I think it'd be just about perfect decked out in fresh leather :)

Hmmm.. all the mk2 boys go on about the Corrado interior being the nuts and I had Corrado front seats in mine and the driving position was superb in the C seats as they were so low but I always wished I had the rest of the corrado around me...

Now I have the corrado I just wish I had the mk2 dash as it was so much more solid!! - even the mk3 is better - what went wrong with the corrado dash??