Sign in to follow this  
matth76

2nd hand cams - running them in

Just had some 2nd hand 268 Eurospec cams fitted. They had done about 1-2k miles by someone I know. I also had new tappets/followers fitted.

The garage that fitted them did a brilliant job and also told me because they were second hand they wouldn't need running in... only brand new cams need running in. Just out of curiousity why is this (i forgot to ask the garage)? And what is the process of running cams in... how are 2nd hand ones different to brand new ones?

Thanks for any info.

Some cams do need running in - but it's more to do with work hardening the metal in the correct fashion, rather than letting them wear to the followers. Yours should be good to go :)

Some cams do need running in - but it's more to do with work hardening the metal in the correct fashion, rather than letting them wear to the followers. Yours should be good to go

Yes, that is my understanding too. You are supposed to run in brand new cams. A few years ago a mate got a hammer through his garage door from an enraged neighbour beacuse he was running in a new cam in his 8V Golf running twin 45 webbers.