Sign in to follow this  
KADVR6

schrick/ns racing

help guys i have a problem?? thinking about buying a schrick manifold with dastek chip, is it a really worthwhile and cost effective mod?? i can get it for around £900. have looked into it and the improvements have had mixed coments on some forum's. also been trying to get hold of raj at NS racing have phoned about 5 times in the last 2 days, no reply get recorded message phone the number given, and i got told from a women hes very busy, phone back. have also sent an e-mail but no reply. trying to find out if he has any 2nd hand chargers for sale. if he hasn't i think i will get the schrick, and save up for the next GB for a charger,

bloody hell just done an essay.

Have a search on here for Shrick and/or VSR.

Essentially, all it does is to extend the torque curve down another 1000rpm or so, making it pull better from lower down the revs.

Raj was in Japan last I knew of a couple of weeks ago..... he travels a lot.

Keep on searching for a charger as they're better value than normally aspirated mods.

.. but the person who just advised you to keep searching for a charger was ecstatic about his Schrick for a good few months or so .. ;)

Though I can see the point - £ for lbft, it's not so good a deal as a charger in that sense. But if you ain't got the £2k plus the hours and hours of tweaking time, it's the best thing you can do to your N/A VR6 ...

That was then, this is now ;-) And anyway, says the man who swore blind OE airboxes are the way to go and then duly slotted on Asim's old K&N cone filter and loved it ... two can play at the "digging up old comments" game :-)

My charger install was a lengthy path to success due to my own obsessive fussiness, but as the kits come, they can go straight on, get mapped by Vince and not give any grief ;-)

I did put the K&N on, true. Then I took it off again.. At least now I can say I did that and got bored ..

Apparently I'm the kind of person for whom a simple unichip for a Schrick inlet gives me grief, so frankly I dread to think what kind of pain a s/c would give me ..

Such is the way with modifications, you were just unlucky.

If you bought a charger, you'd probably get the kit that had been driven over by a forklift and left to rot in the corner of the warehouse for 18 years, on a shelf marked "For Matt Reynolds" :-)

so pretty much what i thought, keep the money for the schrick to one side, and save for another month/two, and get a charger, i will be happy till the missus find's out it's there, :oops:

I had trouble getting hold of Raj at NS Racing too when I tried enquiring about second hand schricks too. However if you send a message to "Dub25" on the vr6oc.com forum he deals with Raj a lot. NS Racing do second hand refurbished chargers for £1k... which is marginally above what you have been quoted for the shrick. You will have to spend a further £300 for a remap at stealth and more for fitting but all in all for just over £1500 I would say that is far better value for money than the schrick... unless Raj can get a second hand shrick for around the £500 mark... then even I would consider one! I think they normally go for around £1200 in most group buys brand new. Shricks are very good in what they do for torque. A few people on the vr6oc forum have said rolling road figures gave them a huge increase to around 220-230lbs/ft torque... which isn't far off the torque figures for a stage one charger. However bhp increase is very small with the schrick.

You also need the injectors, pipework, brackets, idler, belt and filter etc. Pretty sure Raj's £1k price is just for the charger.

It would probably be knocking on the doors of £2k when all added up and mapped. Still cheaper than a brand new kit though.

Yeah the Schrick gives a good torque figure, but it's not sustained across as big a rev range as a Supercharger. By 4000rpm it's all over for the schrick, but the charger will keep producing loads of torque all the way to the redline.

The schrick is kind of like a very small turbo in it's delivery. You get a big dollop of midrange torque and then it tails off sharply as the boost pressure can no longer sustain the engine's appetite for air at the top end.

Stage 1 is just the start and probably similar in pace to a schricked and cam'd VR....but that'll be your lot with the n/a mods. Add a smaller pulley to the charger and it'll be see ya later!

cheers for the info guys especially kev, have made my mind up it's gonna get a charger fitted very soon, will keep on to NS racing till i get an answer about the second hand chargers, have asked dub25 on the vr6oc forum to ask raj about them, so fingers crossed i will be whistling away soon, and the amount of time the missus has seen me looking at charger kits kev, the tensioner bearing excuse will not work, oh well me in the dog house AGAIN, :lol:

Wouldn't a schrick come into it's own if you also had higher lift cams installed? That way it'll tackle the loss of low end grunt with the cams and the cams give you the higher end grunt?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree? Or am I just barking?! Answers on a postcard.

Wouldn't a schrick come into it's own if you also had higher lift cams installed? That way it'll tackle the loss of low end grunt with the cams and the cams give you the higher end grunt?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree? Or am I just barking?! Answers on a postcard.

Stage 1 is just the start and probably similar in pace to a schricked and cam'd VR...