Sign in to follow this  
double-6s

Stealth rebuild or charger and schrick????

Hi.

My vr engine is fekked and I still haven't decided on what to do/found an engine. Its driving me nuts now.

I have found the following though - rebuilt 2.8 (4k ago) with schrick cams and schrick inlet manifold and a stage 2 charger.

So would you guys buy that or go for the full stealth rebuild on my engine. Similar prices really.

My heart says the schrick and charger one. My head says Stealth rebuild.

What do you reckon? Sensible or beast?????

Fitting the 2.8 will be easy though mate. Pretty much a straight swap.

But you're right - the charged option would be about 800 more. Fortunately I have the funds :)

you too eh? i'm trying so hard to be sensible

makes a change, did you walk into the end of a scaffold pole ??? :lol:

lol. i did say i'm TRYING to be sensible mate! :)

lol. i did say i'm TRYING to be sensible mate!

well pack it cos yer fooling no one :-P

by the end of this thread you`d have plumped for a nitous burning, bi turbo charged fire breathing behemoth of a lump :lol:

So a bit more hassle, but not much.

I'd budget for a fairly major job though mate TBH. It's not like sticking another OBD1 in there...

have you seen this will ? egay

i`m assuming this engine is for your golf

i saw that mate thanks. i want something with a 'lifetimes' worth of use in it though mate. fully rebuilt.

and its for the rado mate. the golf got nicked

So a bit more hassle, but not much.

I'd budget for a fairly major job though mate TBH. It's not like sticking another OBD1 in there...

how major is it going to be though mate? the engine and charger etc comes as a lump. so what will i need to change other than the loom? fill me in please dude :)

i actually have the money and i want an engine before i invest it all in our dutch friends best export!!! :)

The loom and immobiliser are the tough bits mate. There are various issues to to with the golf loom being too long in some places (and too short in others). I would imagine it will be a considerably larger job than my OBD2 conversion (12+ hours) - hell, it's a whole engine & charger!

The loom and immobiliser are the tough bits mate. There are various issues to to with the golf loom being too long in some places (and too short in others). I would imagine it will be a considerably larger job than my OBD2 conversion (12+ hours) - hell, it's a whole engine & charger!

yeah i see your point mate. but the charger makes no odds - its already on the engine and i don't suppose it will have to come off. even if it does thats not a huge job. but i reckon 2 days labour or so all in.

i guess i could even stay OBD1 - would just need a new chip. i think

i guess i could even stay OBD1 - would just need a new chip. i think

Fraid not. The TB, MAF etc. etc. would all be OBD2.

I reckon you'd be talking quite a lot of labour dude, it is a new engine with different diagnostics, get some quotes for it. Just trying to help, you don't want to be hit with a huge unexpected labour bill... :shock: :)

but i have all the OBD1 stuff mate. so it could be done either way.

Just realised i could have a full stealth rebuild, gearbox rebuild and quaife/peloquin all within my budget. Now that is tempting. It would be like a new car. Would then have to save for a charger!!!

but i have all the OBD1 stuff mate. so it could be done either way.

Yeh you could stick your existing OBD1 on the 2.8 engine but..

1/ It'll still be quite a bit of work converting the 2.8 block to OBD1

2/ The Schrick manifold will be OBD2 which means some kind of adapter for an OBD1 TB and i'm not sure on how you'd do the ISV (OBD2 doesn't have them).

3/ You'll be forfeiting some power by not going OBD2, remember OBD1 2.8's are around 176bhp standard. You wont be getting the best out of your engine and believe me OBD2 kicks arse generally! Granted, you'll have a charger as well so that's not too much of an issue!

If I was putting a new engine in (and i've said this before) it would have the same number of valves as my favourite TV show!

If you're not doing that, the rebuild/gearbox/peloquin sounds like the way to go IMO. :)

If I was putting a new engine in (and i've said this before) it would have the same number of valves as my favourite TV show!

I watched 2 episodes on tape last night. We haven't got Sky so we don't get Jack!

:(

Back on topic.

Keep throwing money at it, you know it makes sense!!! :lol:

Gavin

Was that a sarcastic comment? The money-throwing?

Anyway, is a rebuilt 2.9 weaker than a rebuilt 2.8? Surely reboring the 2.9 is asking for trouble? Is it better to get a shagged 2.8 and rebuild that?