Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Castrol GTX - High Mileage

Someones just give me a new 5litre tub of Castrol GTX - High Mileage, it's 15W 40. Says its designed for higher mileage engines etc, just wondered if it'll suit the VR? Not knowing fully the 15W 40 ratings, what drawback or benefit would there be by using this.

Using Synta 10w 40 at the mo, but as you prob know by now, getting blue smoke on the overrun.

One thing it does do is quiten down the engine. I had a ever so slightly tappety vr6.... Cured it!!!

Will be fine i'd imagine. I wouldn't use it through winter though as 15w will not be ideal in sub zero conditions.

Wouldn't they have thought of that when bringing it out?

doesn't say 'summer only' or anything. But I know what you mean with it being 15W.

Wouldn't they have thought of that when bringing it out?

doesn't say 'summer only' or anything. But I know what you mean with it being 15W.

Yeh it'll probably be fine, but not 'ideal' like a 10w or 5w, if you want to be a perfectionist, which most of us are!

...enter oilman

;)

Just use quantum silver. Cheap as and a superb oil for all the VW engines. £17 for a 5 litre bottle from the dealer!!

Jay

i find that my car smokes a bit with Q Silver, which i didnt with other oils i have used, im gonna try another brand next change. As for the stuff you have i have used in it my old scirocco storm with no problems, just stick it in and see :-)

Just use quantum silver. Cheap as and a superb oil for all the VW engines. £17 for a 5 litre bottle from the dealer!!

Jeez Jay - I'd have thought you'd have managed to get trade prices with all the bits you buy! - last lot I got worked out as £6.50 +vat...

Yep it's good stuff tho and suits most vag engines as long as there not too tired, and yes - it's made by castrol

Interesting article:

Most vehicle manufacturers today specify 5W-30 or 10W-30 motor oil for year-round driving. Some also specify 5W-20. Always refer to the vehicle owners manual for specific oil viscosity recommendations, or markings on the oil filler cap or dipstick.

As a rule, overhead cam (OHC) engines typically require thinner oils such as 5W-30 or 5W-20 to speed lubrication of the overhead cam(s) and valve-train when the engine is first started. Pushrod engines, by comparison, can use either 5W-30, 10W-30 or 10W-40.

As mileage adds up and internal engine wear increases bearing clearances, it may be wise to switch to a slightly higher viscosity rating to prolong engine life, reduce noise and oil consumption. For example, if an engine originally factory-filled with 5W-30 now has 90,000 miles on it, switching to a 10W-30 oil may provide better lubrication and protection.

For sustained high temperature, high load operation, an even heavier oil may be used in some situations. Some racing engines use 20W-50, but this would only be recommended for an engine with increased bearing clearances. Increasing the viscosity of the oil also increases drag and friction, which can sap horsepower from the crankshaft. That's why 20W-50 racing oil would not be the best choice for everyday driving or cold weather operation for most vehicles. The latest trend in racing is to run tighter bearing clearances and use thinner oils such as 5W-30 or 5W-20 to reduce friction and drag.

Jeez Jay - I'd have thought you'd have managed to get trade prices with all the bits you buy! - last lot I got worked out as £6.50 +vat...

Yep it's good stuff tho and suits most vag engines as long as there not too tired, and yes - it's made by castrol

LOL Unfortunately I have moved oop narf since doing all the work. I generally phone down to Bournemouth VW and get my bits sent up now as I don't trust them up here yet :)

Jay

I use Castrol RS 10W60 racing. At cold start you can hear the tappets, but someone says it's something normal at older cars.

10W/60 is a great oil. Used to use that in a really tired old Jetta GTI and it completely stopped the excessive oil consumption!

Charts and recommendations are one thing, what the engine actually likes is another. You can't tell what the engine is like internally without stripping it, so use an oil that reduces the consumption noticably and I found Silkolene Pro S 10W/50 is the oil my old engine likes the most. Uses bugger all of the stuff compared to quantum.

I use Castrol RS 10W60 racing. At cold start you can hear the tappets

Yup, same here, after numerous recommendations by the folk on the German Corradoforum, and quite a few of my mates in Germany actually using the Castrol 10W60 in their G60s, I've now been using this oil for nearly 3 years, too, but do have noisy tappets on fire-up.

There has been a bit of confusion recently on the Castrol RS 10W60 oil, as Castrol have quietly changed the formulation.

Based on this, BMW then complained to Castrol, upon which they relaunched the original RS 10W60 oil, rebranding it as TSW 10W60, available form BMW-dealers only, apparently.

Some of my German mates have actually stopped using the "new" Castrol RS 10W60 oil ...

Tempest

That's what folks on the German Corradoforum seem to be suggesting. I'm in two minds myself, what to use for my next oil change this summer. Would liek to try the Mobil 5W50, but can't get that.

Tempest

this GTX high mile stuff (15w 40) is working a treat for me. Engines much quieter and less blue smoke on overrun.

£17 for 5litres from halfords.

this GTX high mile stuff (15w 40) is working a treat for me. Engines much quieter and less blue smoke on overrun.

£17 for 5litres from halfords.

I am yet to use this stuff... but have been told it makes the engine lazy ????

TBH, since I started using Silkolene 15w 40 my probs have dissapeared.

The blue smoking has gone and oil consumption has gone from 1 litre every 800miles to 1 litre every 3,000 miles! :)

TBH, since I started using Silkolene 15w 40 my probs have dissapeared.

The blue smoking has gone and oil consumption has gone from 1 litre every 800miles to 1 litre every 3,000 miles! :)

Is it anyless responsive????

Where did you purchase it from and how much did it cost???

Wrn't you using the high mileage stuff from Halfords ????

Yeah and then bought this stuff after reading on here and being advised from other forums.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk I think it is.

About £42 for 5 litres but lasts a lot longer so works out about the same.

Power's pretty much the same. Speak to opie and the tell you why its better.