Sign in to follow this  
Madjackal

CDA BMC

I am looking to buy me a BMC Carbon Air Box I was gonna go to Stealth but have seen them cheaper elsewhere, only problem is the site i have seen them on list VR6 Vento and Passat and mk 3 and 4 Golf, which one do I want for my C??

Is there any one car that the corrado shares most of its parts with cos i had the same problem when buying shocks and im sure im not alone.

Its a MKII Golf chassis right?

Go for a Mk3 Golf VR6, believe thats what i bought from Stealth. You will need a short adaptor hose to attached the BMC to the MAF, Stealth included this not sure if others do.

Yep that's right, Stealth are the only supplier that actually give you the samco coupling. For a few quid extra, get it from stealth. They have an excellent delivery service.

Just ordered mine today from Stealth. Should arrive tomorrow.

Will have a go at relocating the CC tonight (although not sure where the best place to relocate it to is (... off to the search engine!).

Put it next to the radiator mate. The gap between the offside headlight and Rad is perfect for slotting the CC into. You then just need a length of 8mm inside diameter tubing to extend the hoses. Fuel hose is 8mm IIRC, so is readily available.

the important thing for a BMC CDA for a VR6 is that it's the 85-150 model, will fit several engines of a similar capacity. i've had 2 of them and the cheapest i found was motorbitz (yep the crappy high street shop the chav's use for their neons and led's)

they ordered it for me in a couple of days for between £20-£40 cheaper than anyone else.....

i didn't notice any extra parts being needed, but then mines a conversion so the parts aren't where they are supposed to be anyway.

OK, fitted the BMC last night without the cold air feed.

Quite a bit louder than I thought it'd be but it does sound nice! There is a change in induction noise at around 4,000rpm (presumably where the Shrick's flap opens).

It's only really properly loud when the revs are over 4k. Feels a bit quicker throughout the rev range but I'll probably do an ECU Reset/Basic Settings just to be fussy.

So, does it quieten down quite a bit when the cold air feed goes on? Lovely noise anyway, much more civilised than the old ITG cone that came with the car.

kevHaywire, is there any disadvantage to re-positioning the CC under the BMC itself rather than between the headlight and the rad as you suggested? Looks like there is plenty of room under there and it'd save lengthening the tubes to the CC. Just a thought.

Cheers.

Yeah you can do what you like with the CC if there's room. Most people just bin it off though. You might be able to make up a bracket and mount the CC further in. It's up to you mate ;-)

Most people just bin it off though

I've removed my cc and my car now sounds like a helicopter. There's a really loud ticking that come from it, especially when the car is warmed up.

And how Tom loves to jest about it

I was just about to put the kettle on because I thought you were coming round.

Then I realised it was actually a helicopter flying past.

Sorry.

Just fitted the cold air feed in my lunch break. Couldn't believe the size of the Carbon Cannister and now understand why Kev said that between the Rad and Headlight is a good place for it!

For now, I've removed it and joined the two hoses together.

Haven't had the chance to take it for a run yet but it starts and runs fine with no helecoptor sound-effects thankfully!

Looking forward to the drive home tonight!

Most people just bin it off though

I've removed my cc and my car now sounds like a helicopter. There's a really loud ticking that come from it, especially when the car is warmed up.

And how Tom loves to jest about it

I was just about to put the kettle on because I thought you were coming round.

Then I realised it was actually a helicopter flying past.

Sorry.

:lol:

It was actually a helicopter as well. Think the TT 'copters are using the fields up by B&Q as a base so I keep hearing them/your car.

As I said, fitted the cold air feed last night. Made a huge difference to the volume levels and it really isn't much above the standard airbox now. You can hear it a little bit more above 3,500rpm or so but it's in no way intrusive.

It definitely seems to have given the car a bit more punch across the rev range too!

Nice one mate - I'm fitting mine this weekend so I'll also report back on any noticeable differences.

Are you going to continue using the cold air feed or will you revert back to sounding like Airwolf?

Nice one mate - I'm fitting mine this weekend so I'll also report back on any noticeable differences.

Are you going to continue using the cold air feed or will you revert back to sounding like Airwolf?

Keeping the cold air feed on, definitely.

Sounds nice without the feed and still more quiet than a 57i or something but I'd still call it pretty loud.

The cold air feed brings it back down to almost standard, at least at low-mid revs (even under full throttle).

I might shorten the air feed slightly as the pipe is rather long and I'm worried about it sucking up water if I hit a massive puddle. I guess this will bring the volume back up (hopefully only slightly).

I might have an issue fitting the air feed as Dubsport bolted my Schrick manifold vacuum unit to the base of the standard airbox. I'll probably have to bend the already bent tube around it...

Who did your rolling road? I got 220bhp with a schrick and 268s; it was a custom map though as opposed to a Star remap.

Who did your rolling road? I got 220bhp with a schrick and 268s; it was a custom map though as opposed to a Star remap.

The 268's will give you a bit more power at the top end whch explains your higher figures. Mine is running the standard cams and the rolling road figures were done on my aging standard exhaust and the standard airbox.

With the Magnex and the CDA, it might be putting out a bit more, who knows! Although RR figures aren't 100% accurate.

Where was your car dyno'd?

At Dubsport's old site in Parbold, Lancs.

I will scan the plot in as the torque band is quite impressive as well. I'm thinking about doing it again as I've just had a full engine rebuild (£2200!!) and she's already clocked 1000 miles. I'll fit the BMC, give it another 500 to a 1000 miles and then put it on the rolling road again. I suspect it should be about the same but there are no guarantees - it feels a lot smoother and more responsive now though as cylinders 1 and 6 are no longer burning 3 litres of oil a month!!

3 litres of oil a month! Holy cow! Mind you, 220hp just prior to that happening (I assume?) is impressive. A double shrek'd engine (cams and mannie) is a lovely drive....

you should have seen it Kev - with every gear change there was a massive plume of blue smoke. It really detracted from the coolness of the VR.

I'll scan the figures in soon - the graph has 4 plots relating to original, with schrick(s) and the "in between" i.e. when Dubsport f'd up with the cam sensor polarity thing.

What's the craic with the Quaife? Worth throwing more money at her? IT does pay too well!

Know what you mean......when mine used to kick out even the slightest bit of blue, off came the head for a rebuild! Thankfully the bores were OK.

German cars and smoke is somewhat embarrassing as they have a reputation for being bomb proof!

Quaifes are a laugh :-) You won't need it 80% of the time but if you like powering hard out of corners and T junctions and enjoy the odd traffic light grand prix, then it's a must ;-)