Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

gear'd supercharger

hello chrishill, looks like a marvellous piece of engineering :thumbleft: but i`m getting worried about you and veedub_g60, it appears you may be spending to much time on `chav` sites :shock: :lol:

I think a lot of people of have thought of this.. certainly something thats floated through my mind a few times but I always assumed that there were some technical limitations that prevented this from being "do-able" - guess someone finally put pen to paper and sorted it out! :)

Normally, you'd expect up to 50% efficiency out of a supercharger, but this setup promises up to 85%!

Erm, isn't the G60 charger around 80% efficient?

The Superchargers in messerscmitts (those planes from ww2, I can't even be arsed to work out how to spell it), were geared so that at low level the required ammount of boost was available, and when the plane reached high altitudes and the air was thinner, the charger could be sped up to produce the same amount of boost again, if you catch my drift. I guess it meant that the plane could still perform at very high altitudes, but the charger didn't get super stressed when they were just hooning round at sea level.

If i remember my history lessons correctly, Post WW1 Germany wasn't allowed to make research into military vehicles such as planes and battle ships etc. However lots of money was pumped into the Grand Prix racing which just happened to use engines which would be ideal for fighter aircraft hence the advanced technology used in the mescherthingumybobs.

If i remember my history lessons correctly, Post WW1 Germany wasn't allowed to make research into military vehicles such as planes and battle ships etc. However lots of money was pumped into the Grand Prix racing which just happened to use engines which would be ideal for fighter aircraft hence the advanced technology used in the mescherthingumybobs.

you'd have thought the side mounted machine guns would've given the game away...

you'd have thought the side mounted machine guns would've given the game away...

ROFL!!!!

Normally, you'd expect up to 50% efficiency out of a supercharger, but this setup promises up to 85%!

Erm, isn't the G60 charger around 80% efficient?

A standard 'off the shelf' G lader is quoted at around 65% efficiency from the the brochure I have, but by the time they have been ported and flowed then the efficiency is well up from that figure.

It should be possible to calculate the % increase for a porting job but as I don't know of anyone who has had a port carried out and left the standard pulley on it might be difficult :wink: