Szarky

"Campaign" and "Storm" Corrado

WAHOOO..... my first post. :D Sorry if this topic has been talked about too much but here in North America where Im from not a lot of people know about the Campaign Corrado. Just from reading some of the threads I've concluded that 6 were built and approx. only 5 remain now? Now the "Storm" Corrado there were 500 built so roughly 400 have to be around right? From the sounds of it the Storm Corrado was not that different from any other VR6, same engine just minor differences on the interior? I own a '94 VR6 Corrado and would love to one day swap a different engine or go the supercharger/turbo route.... even cooler would be to own a Storm or Campaign Corrado, but Im sure lots of enthusiasts have thought about it but I'm curious why is it so hard to get them over here across the Atlantic.... customs won't allow it? I read a post that there is a Campaign Corrado for sale.... you guys have a site to check for used car sales? Any information and links would be greatly appreciated as I would like to learn more about these rare rare collectibles that only you lucky b******* got. :(

*****edit***** swearing vr6storm :wink:

I don't claim to be an expert but as far as I know...

Yes there were six 'Campaign' models, whose main feature was a special custom coloured interior . At least one of these is gone now, not sure about the other five, although we have least one, if not two owners on this forum.

VW made one each for the top six VW dealerships in the UK, a sort of bonus for the dealers who sold the most Corrados over here.

500 Storms, 250 in Blue, 250 in Green, 'Storm' badging, special alloys, leather interior as standard. I think 10 of each were also Automatics rather than manual. There is also one Storm in the Wolfsburg museum in Germany.

I've no idea how many are left, but they are still going for a premium over here.

Again, as with the Campaign, the Storm model was exclusive to the UK on account of how well sales of the Corrado did over here.

The only reason you probably havn't got them where you are, is simply down to the cost of transporting it over there. Since you have different regualtions over there, I don't know if you'd have to have it modified to comply with regulations...?

I would assume it's just a question of money, but since the Storm, whilst being limited edition, is really only a specially badged VR6, you'd have to reaaaaaaaally want one, to pay the extra when you could so much more easily pick up a good example of the SLC.

Just my 2 cents...

DtM.

The UK-spec 2.9 litre VR engine:

a) would never meet US emissions regs (at the time, so now it would be much worse) and

b) would never run without pinking to death on US low octane-rated fuels (the "good stuff" is often only 92 Octane in smaller towns - the 2.8 runs best on 95 and can run on lower Octanes acceptably)...

Hence the difference, as far as I can see.

so here in North America we got the G60(1.8L) and SLC/VR6(2.8L)....... I know you guys got couple different engine options, but the Storm and Campaign came with the same 2.9L VR6 engine as your regular SLC/VR6? So no performance differences other than the different alloy wheels on the Campaign and not the Storm? Another point, was the UK the only country that the Corrado was sold in or the only country to get the special edition Storm and Campaign?

Ok, so it would be a bit pricey to get it over from the UK to Canada, any rough estimates of how much a boat trip would cost for a car? Another point, I couldnt drive the damn thing because of the steering wheel being on the opposite side..... lets just say for fun I wanted to just take it out to the track once in a while and take it to the biggest and most popular car shows once or twice a year... would I have a problem still? Im not insuring the car, it's not gonna be on the streets or roads.

just trying to see if this would work.... any comments would be great:

a) I wouldnt be driving the car on any streets or roads, I would just get it transported to the track once in a while and taking it to the main car shows of which we only have couple big ones.

b) do we have different fuel than you guys? we have 87, 89, 91, 92, an 94 is the highest octance I think.... would that be the biggest problem the fuel we have comapred to you guys?

The UK-spec 2.9 litre VR engine:

a) would never meet US emissions regs (at the time, so now it would be much worse) and

b) would never run without pinking to death on US low octane-rated fuels (the "good stuff" is often only 92 Octane in smaller towns - the 2.8 runs best on 95 and can run on lower Octanes acceptably)...

Hence the difference, as far as I can see.

Yes, like I say, UK spec fuel is either 95 or 98 octane. There's NOTHING lower than this. The 2.9 VR6 handbook says you *should* use 98, but that it will run "ok" on 95. It's "not recommended" however, and you're strongly advised to use at least 25% 98 octane...

So - you'd probably find it's ok, just about, on 94 octane, but you might find that you get pretty crap performance and bad pinking unless you add some octane booster all the time.

By the way - in Japan it's not difficult to get hold of 102 octane fuel.. Many of the japanese "supercars" require it...

I'll post some comments on here later, bit tired at the moment. Personally, quickly though, transporting a car to Canada would be prohibitively expensive to be honest. You're probably looking at about £3-4k.

The Storm had special wheels too.

The Campaign had electric Recaro seats too.

There is one for sale (as far as I know) but it's been for sale now for 9 months.....

Talking about fuel, even though american fuel appears to be a lower octane it is measured differently.

Ours is measured in r.o.n. and theres is measured in p.o.n.

I think this means something like our 98 is equivalent to there 94 so theres nothing to worry about there.

Talking about fuel, even though american fuel appears to be a lower octane it is measured differently.

Ours is measured in r.o.n. and theres is measured in p.o.n.

I think this means something like our 98 is equivalent to there 94 so theres nothing to worry about there.

Id suspect this being true as i could imagine huge 5 litre V10's may need more tha 94 RON :lol:

so the gas issue would maybe work out.... got 94 octance (good point on the differences between p.o.n. and r.o.n.) here is a cool link explaining the differences and even has a chart to compare our ratings to yours... Fuel Ratings

Insurance hopefully wouldnt be a problem as I wouldnt get it... just take it out very rarely and never on street roads. Cost issue is the biggest and most important point.... it would be very pricey, but it would probably be the first Campaign to make it across the Atlantic 8).

Someone said there was one for sale right now but its been on the market for over 9 months.. anyone know a link to see pics or details on this car? Im guessing Campaign interior is as hard to find as finding a needle in a haystack(even worse) ?

Szarky, Never seen the car in question but im guessing tha cause of the high price and the not exactly A1 condition is why it hasnt sold. and as for finding the interior? well, you'll find that 5 of 5 have them fitted as standard and the 6th one is in Majik's G60!!!! Lucky Bandito!!!!

Here in Denmark we have 92 octane (nobody buys it), then 95 and 99. In Romania for example, they've introduced 101 octane. Nice ;)

I only run mine on 99 and only from the ame company, and only from a separate hose, not a shared one.

Yes, in the us it's measured differently, so right on that.

Many V8 are made to run on low octane with not so hig compression (standard).

In Denmark the 2,8 Liter have 172 Hp and the 2,9 Liter have 190 Hp. The 2,8 were used in Golf, never in Corrado's here.

Also the G60 upto 1990 had 160 Hp. After that vw introduced the "P"-head with matching inlet and exhaust, which produced 177 Hp, because of VW Motorsport using them for hill climbing or Bergrennen. There are some nice 16v's still doing that even today. Can be seen on youtube.

Anyway there's the Jet model, also only high on equipment, no more Hp's,

And then there's the Cabrio and the van models. Ultra rare.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Ups, that's because I just clicked on another nice looking thread below. Happened to be e quite old one then ;) Sorry.

That just shows that one have to think carefully of what to answer before writing, but 9 years was maybe too long to think matters over, or Corrado's never go out of fashion or ?

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox