Sign in to follow this  
Ice White Socks

Went for a drive in a 911 993 over the weekend....

Wow!! now I can see what all the fuss is about :) The car was a 270bhp 3.6 flat 6 (non-varioram) but with tiptronic.

First impressions when getting in was a slight dissapointment- trim now where near the leathered VR and the switchgear seemed all over the place- but its pace was neck-snapping and the look of the car on the road with the great flared rear arches and fat rear tyres was awesome. Apparently does 170mph!! how fookin quick is that

me wanty very much :(

they are totally sublime...........ok 272bhp aint much these days tbh but they can still bring a smile to your face...........i can't stop driving mine :D

Yeah they are great cars. I wouldn't describe the power as neck snapping though, but then I suppose I've been spoiled over the years with Turbo Charged MK2 Golfs and Super'd VR6s.

In the case of Varioram 3.6 (I've driven a wide body manual one), what you do get is a huge, flat spread of torque and the engine responds instantly at any revs in any gear.

It's just such a 'complete' car.... handling, damping, body control, brakes, structural integrity, engine, looks, steering are all spot on....and I much prefer the bottom hinged pedals too ;-)

I've heard the tippy tronics are not as good as the manuals though and they're cheaper to buy as a consequence.

And yeah, the interior is amusing to say the least! It reminds me of a MK1 with the bolt upright screen and carpet on places where there shouldn't be carpet, LOL! But MK1s are cool in a retro way, as are 993 interiors :-) You just have to ignore the surroundings and focus on the driving!

Aye your right- I had gone OTT with 'neck-snapping'. Felt very much like the VR in terms of power delivery (tho it may have been better under 4K- I wouldn't know cos it was always over 4K!!)

I think the tiptronics are a shade slower- but its a nice touch.

Cheers

Yeah I felt the 993's delivery is VR6'ish too, but defo more low down torque though :-)

You can just let off the clutch at the lights and off she rips.....the VR needs a more measured pedal movement to pull away as smoothly and with the same vigour.

the thing with them too is that they don't feel too fast but you find you are shifting a lot quicker than you would in a near standard VR

as for the interior............you only look at the rev counter and sometimes the speedo :wink:

Aye, cause the rev counter is huge and right in the middle of the clocks where you can't miss it :-)

Agreed on the sensation of speed, I think it's the same with most n/a 6 cylinder cars tbh.... not enough capacity to throw you in your seat like a V8, but enough for rapid and deceptively fast progress.

I remember phoning H8RRA from the driving seat of a new 911 Carrera and doing 150-160mph down the Coast road to Whitley Bay.

The dumper truck pedals felt odd to start with and the pedals aren't directly in front of you as the Corrado ones are so it feels a bit odd being offset.

Lovely cars though and so solidly built.

Chris

I like the way you cant see the speedo from about 60mph to 90mph as the steering wheel is in the bloody way! LOL

Beautiful cars, I drove an M reg, manual Carrera 2, it is the best car I have ever driven. One day I will have one, hopefully parked next to my Corrado.