Sign in to follow this  
junkie

Original rev gauge

Just found out that the 16V rev counter revs upto 8k.

Now is it possible to swap over just the rev counter from a 16V into my G60 as the limit in my c is 7600rpm as i want to keep my original mileage reading etc.

Also is it possible to fix the light for the mileage lcd screen as when i popped to the stealers for a bulb he said i cant change it?

He seemed a numpty to me but he could be right.

My c is registered march 91 on a H plate.

It is possible to swap over the gauges as they just pull out, but couldn't say whether they will work (should do but have never tried it).

There is a bulb behind the LCD. It is the same bulb as used in a Mk2 and is fixed from behind (doesn't involve taking the clocks apart unlike the three that light up the dials at the top of the clocks). The part is listed on ETKA, so next time get him to put it up on screen and if he still says you can't change it slowly push his head through the screen :lol:

Can some one with EKTA see if the two gauges will be swappable and do they wire the same etc, if not is it a part that can be swapped over to make it work if it will fit?

Can some one with EKTA see if the two gauges will be swappable and do they wire the same etc

ETKA doesn't give that kind of detail. I'm can't see why it wouldn't work; it's just another frequency counter with a different scale after all. If it's not a direct fit I doubt it'd take much work.

Cool will try.

Surely EKTA shows what kind of fitments, connections etc? Just to try and build up a kinda rough idea.

Surely some one must have tried this at some point with people tuning their c's engine?

Or would people just change the whole binnacle.

Has any one got any pictures of either the 16v and G60 clusters stripped down by any chance?

Surely EKTA shows what kind of fitments, connections etc? Just to try and build up a kinda rough idea.

I'll take a look but I'm not confident...

I've got a set of clocks from a 1990 Mk2 Golf GTI that probably use the same rev counter guts as the Corrado I can take a look at if all else fails.

could you not just swap the metal plate (with numbering on) rather than the whole thing?

its held with 2 small screws onto a white plastic lump thing :lol: and then this is clipped in over the little mechanical bit that is plugged in.

neil. :)

It looks to me like the early and late clocks are quite different inside. It may be just because the images are generic, or that there's an extra removable plastic mounting piece around the early rev counter. Either way, the part numbers would suggest minor revisions only meaning the connections are likely to be the same. Just guessing though.

could you not just swap the metal plate (with numbering on) rather than the whole thing?

Definitely not. If you did that you'd have a car that showed 8k RPM at a true 7k RPM.

Definitely not. If you did that you'd have a car that showed 8k RPM at a true 7k RPM.

mmmm,did wonder...

is the numbering not in the same place? but just continues a little further on the valver clocks? with higher redline too?

cant just remember :oops:

edit:in fact,that just sounds wrong,lol

aye,i think you're probably right there :oops:

im just trying to remember here...but i think? the little part that the needle fixes to,just has some metal pins that plug into the circuit board at the back...

i may be taking my dials apart (again :roll: :wink: :lol: ) next week some time so i can grab pics if you havent sorted anything ihi.

neil.

It wont swap I don't think - It has nothing to do between early and late. The rev counter works off a vacuum I believe (certainly on the G60) and the sender unit the vacuum pipe plugs into is different G60 one is blue all others - ABV, KR and 9A is a black sender.

Not stopping there, you wouldnt be able to change the sender either as the printed circuit board is different for every engine type according to EKTA also.

So if what if I am looking at this the right way, then according to EKTA the simple answer is - No you can't just swap the Rev Counter.

is the blue vac thing not for the mpg reading on the mfa blue_joe?

i thought the rev counters were electronically operated via the coil?

shame if the printed circuits are diffarent though... :(

i thought the rev counters were electronically operated via the coil?

They are. The signal wire is green I believe. The vacuum connection is for the MFA; I guess it's different on the G60 because it's calibrated to read the positive forced-induction pressure as well as vacuum.

I'm still sure it can be done, even if it's not plug and play.

yeah,i reckon so some how :)

maybe some fancy scissor/soldering work is needed if the printed circuit is diffarent,and some dremel work if the plastic mounting is diffarent also...

neil.

Sounds like a lot of work then.

Riley - if you could get some pics would be good mate.

Never seen inside the clocks before but would it not be possible to just wire straight to the coil somehow and skip the PCB.

Never seen inside the clocks before but would it not be possible to just wire straight to the coil somehow and skip the PCB.

No, you'll need the electronic part of the 8k RPM rev counter to generate the correct needle deflection for a given engine speed. The question is: is the rev counter a complete unit or is the electronic part integrated on a shared clock PCB?! I suspect the former, I have to say.

I had the clocks apart this weekend to swap my speedo, just changed the gauge rather than the full cluster as i didn't want to disturb the MFA. The rev counter on the 16v is just an electrical connection, the vacuum pipe runs the MFA, it just pushes into the casing rather than screws in so should pull out easy enough.

It's worth a try, won't the printed circuit be the same if you get a rev counter from a digital cluster?

I'll take some pics of mine tonight if they'll be any use, the rev counter I have is from an anologue cluster.

Well that sounds promising!

won't the printed circuit be the same if you get a rev counter from a digital cluster?

It's not that simple, since only the 1.8 16v came with an 8k RPM rev counter (I think); I've never seen a KR-engine'd Corrado with the later clocks.

Man i wish this was simple cos i really need the 8k limit gauge but still need it to look factory.

Well i can only try and work it out somehow as everything is possible.

So pointers needed in taking apart the two clusters please.

Do's and dont's.

Don't break 'em :)

Top tip that lol.

Was gonna say that myself but had to let the thread run its due course of banter in the comedy stakes. :) :) :) :lol: :lol: :lol:

lol

The plot thickens...

I just noticed, while doing a bit of 2.0 16v research, that the 9A-engine'd Corrados have rev counters driven by the ECU. It's still possible that all the 'early cars', i.e. 1.8 16v and G60, have a coil-driven rev counter though.