Sign in to follow this  
CorradoDriver

Door Handle

Hey

I have 92 VR6 and about a year ago, someone tried 2 break into it. They broke the driver side door handle off, so i had 2 get it replaced. I bought one from ebay but the guy didnt have the key. So i was wondering if i would be able to take the passenger side door handle off and replace it with the driver side door handle so that i can lock and unlock the car from the driver side instead of walking all the way around and locking it from the passenger side. I was thinking maybe i can turn the mechanism around or somthing or even get an keyless entry. I dont really want to spend too much money on key less entry so does anyone have any suggestion. I would appreciate it

Thanks

If the lock barrels are the same as the Mk1/Mk2 Golfs then they can be re-tumbled to match your existing key for around £30 IIRC

Use passat ones from the rear doors & delock it...

(obviously you'd need to have an alarm with central locking first...)

Yep swap the barrel off your old handle or get a new one from VW (about a fiver)

Handles are sided so not interchangeable...

£5 for the barrel as supercharged says and about £8 to match it to your main key from vag

8) so for £13 you'll have a matching new lock

actually on the subject, should the door locks be the same as the ignition key? mines had new handles+locks in the past and has an additional key just for the doors

you can 're code' the barrel yourself, takes a while but doable - i have done it. it just a case of re sorting the tabs to match the key or you can take both apart and note the numbers and order of the good barrel tabs and put the other in that order.

:D

edit: all locks should be the same. you could allways try the abve for that to

Yeah, the parts guys at my local dealers used to build them for free but not sure if they'd do that anymore seeing as they no longer cut keys either...

You can do it yourself and it's really easy if you have the old handle / barrel as you just swap the tumbler...