Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

Is 16v and VR suspension interchangeable

the 2 types of suspension in question are, koni/H&R on the 16v, and FK AK's on the vr.

VR uses the "plus" front suspension, but in terms of the struts (spring and damper), they're the same across the range. There was a variation in the spring top plate between early cars and late ones, and the standard VR suspension used gas dampers where the standard dampers for the other cars were just oil, but this is just trivia.

There was a variation in the spring top plate between early cars and late ones

Well mine a K-reg 93 2.0l 16v so would the top plate be the same as the VR? Also would it just be the spring rate that is different on the front alone?

2.0 16v is a late car, so I think it would be the same top plates as a VR. BUT iirc most aftermarket suspension seems to require the early, wider spring top plates to sit on. They are interchangeable and cost a few quid from VW.

Im running VR Fk coilovers drives fine....

Which ones you got dude?

fully adj Konigsport ..

IIRC the top plates come in 3 flavours.

1 16v/g60 up to very late cars (last model year for 16v)

2 VR6 these are a wider diameter, 102mm, I think and were fitted to early VR's up to around mid '93. These are the ones you will need for most aftermarket spring kits except for Pi as you can get those in both diameters.

3 VR6/Late 16v a smaller diameter spring disc was fitted to the VR after mid '93 and then to the last production year of the 2.0l 16v cars. Total trivia but it was fitted to allow for lateral force compensating springs to be used to give a better ride.

If you are using colies then its not an issue as they should complete with spring caps, you can use VR top mounts though and I would personally recommend you do for a better ride.