Sign in to follow this  
M15 VW

How Late is your VR?

Mine was registered on an N plate on the 2nd Jan 1996. Didn't check the VIN..

Doesn't really matter anyway, they stopped making them in May '95.

My VIN's 3701, build date on sticker in boot 18th May 95, registered some time November 95 on an N plate.

bought a wry smile when i found out that the dealership where mine was from was given a Campaign to sell. 8)

Anyone know how many VR's made it on P plate registrations?

mines a VR on a P reg...think it probably sat at a dealers for a while before it was registered...

My (briefly owned) Classic Green VR6 had a February 96 build date on it. Registered in June the same year.

The build date is the important bit here; many cars were built in 1995 (including I believe all the Storms) but many were not actually registered until well over a year later.

I believe physical production of the car at Karmann ended in March 1996.

My (briefly owned) Classic Green VR6 had a February 96 build date on it. Registered in June the same year.

The build date is the important bit here; many cars were built in 1995 (including I believe all the Storms) but many were not actually registered until well over a year later.

The last car (Storm) 4043 is listed (in etka) as produced at the end of June '95. AFAIK there were no other Cs produced after this date. My Storm (3267) was built in 95 (between March and April) but wasn't registered until Jan '96.

Where did you locate a build date of Feb '96 from?

See, I've got components with 11/95 on them, specifically the ABS relays for example....

The last car (Storm) 4043 is listed (in etka) as produced at the end of June '95. AFAIK there were no other Cs produced after this date. My Storm (3267) was built in 95 (between March and April) but wasn't registered until Jan '96.

How can you find out which number Storm you have? Is there somewhere on the car that tells you?

See, I've got components with 11/95 on them, specifically the ABS relays for example....

Have you had the car from new? Maybe the relays had to be replaced at some stage in the cars life.

How can you find out which number Storm you have? Is there somewhere on the car that tells you?

The Storms weren't numbered, the numbers i'm quoting are the vin numbers.

Have you had the car from new? Maybe the relays had to be replaced at some stage in the cars life.[/quote:aq63stfl]

Nope, I'm the second owner.

Car's had a lot of VWSH in the past. Guess the relays could have been replaced, but it seems a bit odd to replace them with relays of approximately the same age as the car.

Nope, I'm the second owner.

Car's had a lot of VWSH in the past. Guess the relays could have been replaced, but it seems a bit odd to replace them with relays of approximately the same age as the car.

VW would have produced a lot of relays around the time of production of the C and afterwards, which could very well have been held in stock for some time until required.

If any of the Cs were produced in 96 they would have had a VIN No. containing 50TK00**** the "T" denoting production in 1996. I'm pretty sure there aren't any. The last Cs have an "S" in the VIN denoting 1995

Hi Paul,

I didn't check the VIN number at the time, but the engine had a Feb 96 build date on it's identification sticker.

HTH

John

The final Storm was a special order from VW to Karman to ensure it was the last car produced.

If its the same car i saw there this year then they never badged it as a storm. It is green with all the trimmings inc a/c etc but no Storm badges. I know this is pretty minor but wondered if this meant that all 500 came over here? I always thought the green C @ Karman was a Storm too....... Too me back to '96 when I smelled the interior!! :D

RE P reg Storm, it may be the same one that a mate of mine was going to look at. Is it in Scotland? Id look at the ebay link but i at work.....

Think mine is 11/95 but not sure def not a very late one. There are some very late ones on this thread - mid '96!!

Hi Paul,

I didn't check the VIN number at the time, but the engine had a Feb 96 build date on it's identification sticker.

HTH

John

Hi John,

As with the aforementioned ABS relay, it could be the case that the car had an engine change at some stage. The last VR engine listed for the C was ABV018370, produced in June 95, however, the ABV engine was still in produciton after this time and used in the Passat Syncro/4Motion up to engine No. ABV022380 with production ceasing in Dec '96.

The final Storm was a special order from VW to Karman to ensure it was the last car produced.

If its the same car i saw there this year then they never badged it as a storm. It is green with all the trimmings inc a/c etc but no Storm badges. I know this is pretty minor but wondered if this meant that all 500 came over here? I always thought the green C @ Karman was a Storm too....... Too me back to '96 when I smelled the interior!! :D [/quote:tmzuiymg]

Yes the Last Storm was Green with beige leather and fitted with Solitudes. The remaining 499 storms were all sold in the UK where the badges were fitted at the dealerships selling them. IIRC the last Storm did originally come to the UK where it was used as a demonstrator before being driven back to the Auto Museum at Wolfburg.

The badges arrived at the dealers in packs like this:

Stormbadgeinfo.jpg

Mine's an N reg, registered on 03.01.1996..

spooky as my bday is also 3rd January, must have been fate

Yes the Last Storm was Green with beige leather and fitted with Solitudes. The remaining 499 storms were all sold in the UK where the badges were fitted at the dealerships selling them. IIRC the last Storm did originally come to the UK where it was used as a demonstrator before being driven back to the Auto Museum at Wolfburg.

The badges arrived at the dealers in packs like this:

Stormbadgeinfo.jpg

Right it went to the VW museum, cheers man it did baffle me when I was @ Karman. :D

This one by any chance? Saw it when i went to the auto museum this year, it was MINT!! And then for some reason the G60 next to it wasn't even standard, had all sorts of crap on it, different wheels, eyebrow, seat covers, speakers in parcel shelf :scratch: it was as if someone who worked there just said "I'll just bring mine in and park it next to the green one, its a corrado!" :lol:

This one by any chance? Saw it when i went to the auto museum this year, it was MINT!! And then for some reason the G60 next to it wasn't even standard, had all sorts of crap on it, different wheels, eyebrow, seat covers, speakers in parcel shelf :scratch: it was as if someone who worked there just said "I'll just bring mine in and park it next to the green one, its a corrado!" :lol:

Yep, that looks like 50SK004043 :D

Strange about the modded G60, but at least they are not too uptight at the museum to have it there next to the Storm :clap:

Green Storm - 2542 & registered 11th August 1995 - 9 years before my 3rd son was born

If thats not historic enough for you it was also 2375 years after the Persians defeated the Spartans at the battle of Thermoplyae :eek: