Sign in to follow this  
VRTrickster

Changing VR Cams

I'm going to be fitting my 264 cams next week. I have been advised by Vince that I may need a new cam impulse sensor ,which I think bolts on near the end of a cam? Question is ,this costs about £50 so I was wondering if it was completely necessary to get one just in case I break it removing it?

Has anyone fitted cams their self and managed to keep the original sender in tack? Any story of having to remove the inlet and rocker again?

Any feed back would be great cheers!

The last time I did cams the trigger wheel held together, but it's adviseable to get an impulse trigger wheel on standby. They often crack when undoing the sprocket bolt (they're plastic), but not always. I always change them regardless.

When retorquing the sprocket bolts afterwards, the torque wrench may not "click" on the rear cam (the one with the trigger wheel) because the trigger wheel washer compresses so much, so go easy and don't shear off the bolt!

Bargain, i have a dizzy so don't need one bit i want to buy it for only a fiver myself!

I was told once by vince that the cams may be caused to flex and bossibly bend taking off the bolt so it's suggested to use a windy gun to remove them as the hammer action loosens the bolt without the torque you would apply with a socket & retchet.

Chris

Cheers Ill bare that in mind! Ill probably borrow my mates cordless impact driver !

corradovr6sc, pm sent mate !

Is there anything else I may of forgotten? I'm replacing the inlet manifold as well ,and I think all I need is the injector seals ?

i'm hopefully swopping my cams next week - in terms of retaining the position of the chains relative to teh sprocket, i was going to mark the standard sprocket and chain with tippex, remove the cams, mark the same position on the new cams and then line them up. Would this work ok? Zak? You free for a few hours over the weekend? :wave: